1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

help me pick out my bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by varozerolf, Jan 27, 2013.

1. varozerolf

varozerolf

hello again guys i am going to buy a new bass but i am a starter at looking at the features that make a good bass well my two choices are either a warwick corvette standard bubinga 5 string with active pickups or a spector legend classic 5 string

what i need is something that i can get a crystal clear metal tone (spawn of possession type of tone for example)

just tell me some of the characteristics that make a good bass because i have only been playing one year and i do not really know much about wood,bridges, and neck.
  2. fearceol

fearceol

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

I would not worry too much about the technicalities of what makes a good bass. Granted, pickups, wood (not forgetting the strings), passive or active, weight, etc, can make a difference, but the bass that sounds, looks and feels amazing to one person might be less appealing to another.

The best thing is to try out as many basses as you can. The one that sounds and feels good in your hands, is "your" bass.

When you are trying out basses, you might like to check out the G&L L2500, (L2000 is the four string version)Tribute or USA, depending on your budget. They are among the most versatile sounding basses.

Hope this helps a little.
  3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

So you're looking for the best bass for metal?

:p
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Spector.
  5. pica

pica

Didn't you post this same thread in the basses forum? :meh:
  6. the_stone

the_stone

And please fill out your profile a little more so that others can make informed recommendations for you...
  7. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1 you will get more specific suggestions if we know a bit more about your musical style and taste.
  8. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I can't help you with specific sound you're after, I can only advise you to play as many instruments as possible. Don't play 2 or 3, play a dozen, and play them for as long as you can. Good music shops won't have a problem with you spending 30 or 40 minutes playing an instrument. The feel of the bass is at least, if not more important than the sound in my opinion, though others may disagree.

Also, try and play basses through the same amps you use, or as close as possible. If the amp is totally unfamiliar, it's very hard to judge the sound of the bass vs. the amp. You might think it sounds great, then when you plug it in to your favourite amp at home, you're disappointed.