1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help me pick out my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeyfender, Nov 25, 2013.

1. joeyfender

joeyfender

Hey everyone, I'm Joey. I have been playing guitar for 2 years and drums for 6 months. I recently filled in at bass for a show and had a blast. I have recently started a band with some friends and I am going to be playing bass. I need help picking out a bass. We will be playing music from Bad to the Bone to Raining Blood. My price range is under $150. I also need an amp. Thanks!

2. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

What make/model bass were you using while filling in? If it can't fit into your budget, maybe someone can suggest a suitably similar axe.

Is the $150 your bass budget or are you looking to fit an amp into that number? (…and don't forget possible shipping costs) I ask because I may not be in a "playing live" situation, but from what I've heard around these parts you may need to save up a little bit more to get a gig-worthy bass. That is, unless you seriously luck out and fine a real gem of a bargain. That being said, check out the SX Basses from Rondo Music (search for "essex" here on TalkBass). There are many here who swear by their bang-for-your-buck quality.

EDIT: I just checked out their basses section. There are over a dozen models that are on sale right now, and that's just for the four-stringers.

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

$150's tough, SX maybe? Try renting for a while, you get to see what you like, and save up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Up the budget to $179 and you can get a new Squier VM Jaguar.

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That's the price for the short scale model. The long scale goes for $199 or more, depending on the model.

8. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

First Id look used. Ibanez makes a decent starter bass (SR or something like that). They sound pretty good and usually well built. They have skinny easy playing fast necks. Lots of em out there on CL, eBay, and everywhere, sorta like Affinity Strats. You should be able to find a decent one for $100-$150. Deans are another GC brand in this category. A used Squier Standard P or J could poss also be found.

If your want new, agree SX are a good deal. May require some set up tho. So figure in a likely set up and possible fret or nut work, poss a scratchy pot, in the equation. After some tweaking tho, good as a Mexican Fender IMO.

As long as it's comfortable, stays in tune, the electronics work, and it goes "thump" is all you really need to worry about. Then get as big an amp as you can afford. Id look used there too. An old Peavey TNT is cheap & powerful, but heavey. But your young. Get a stack if you can.

9. javadog

javadog Supporting Member

I'll second the Ibanez. I got a used SR205 for that amount that I thought was going to be a real clunker but with some tweaks it has turned into a very nice bass. Learn how to do your own set up adjustments and keep fine tuning it till you get it where you like it. I also eventually replaced the pickups which helped a lot.

10. Levar

Levar

Actually, you can buy any bass that fits your budget. If it has a straight neck and solid build - just buy it, one won't really differ from another.

11. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

With that budget - go used, and then save for an amp.

12. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

you can also go to music-go-round's website and use their "search all stores" to see what they have. the other day i was bored and did this exact search. i was surprised at what they have in the sub $150 range. you need to keep an eye on possible shipping costs and check out their return policy but it will let you see what's out there.

i have nothing to do with this business other than i have been in the ann arbor store a couple of times.

they did have a peavey mark viii amp and a 4x10 cab that together totaled less than $280. it is at a store in Missouri if i remember correctly

13. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

True, though the short scale might be a good choice for a guitar player. The Jag SS has a big following here on TB:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/squier-jaguar-short-scale-club-774910/

A budget of $200 would open up lots of very good choices, including the SX "Pro" line:

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4-ss2.html

If $150 is the limit, I'd start with the local pawn shops, Goodwill stores and craigslist.