Help me plan for winter gigs, taking public transit!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nick0, Dec 23, 2013.

1. nick0

nick0

Hi,

So I'm living in a country with very, very cold winters. Parka and snowpants to go any farther than checking the mail kind of cold. And icy sidewalks with inclines. In a city with decent public transit, it's possible to get around ok, and save money.

Right now I've been fortunate, since my vocalist has a car, but I'm moving, and expect to be back to 100% public transit. So . . . with these temps, and icy sidewalks, I still need to get my bass and rig to the gig. 'need something that will keep up with an average, loud, but not that loud drummer, with decent dispersion.

So, insist on a lightweight (<30lbs) cabinet, and carry it, with a bass strapped to my back, or maybe in the other hand? (remember, icy sidewalks . . .) Or get a hand-truck, and maybe put the bass in a hardcase, and cinch the cab to it. Or . . . what do you suggest? I'm planning for worst case scenario of only having 5-10min for the speakers to reach room temperature, so please let me know if this is something I should worry about.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Nick

2. hsech

hsech Ain't no blues like old blues. Gold Supporting Member

Hard case, small combo like a Markbass, and get to your gig earlier so you have more than 5-10 minutes for your speakers and bass to reach room temp. I've lived in North Dakota, Alaska and now Iowa.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Yikes, I have never lived anywhere where you had to wear snowpants. The most it gets down to here is -30C and only for a week or so per winter.

I would say a gig bag (so you can wear it on your back), a small amp that goes in the gig bag pocket and a small 1x12 that you carry.

But will a 1x12 be loud enough for your band? A small hand truck will allow 2 1x12s which should be loud enough. Also, you can put a backpack on top with all the extras you need.

I personally like the EA wizzys which are about 30 pounds each.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I think you have a couple of options.

1. get the markbass cmd121p combo. Its a 300w 30LB combo and fairly capable... but dont expect miracles.

2. get a 1u micro amp like the gk mb500 and a 30LB cab (lots to choose from). The schroeder 15L would be a loud/good choice. Stick the amp in the outer pocket of your gig bag.

Whatever you do, get your self a good quality handcart. Makes a world of difference.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi Nick

The new G-K MB110 might be perfect for you.

Checkout the Gallien-Krueger MB110 Bass Combo Amp
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB110
    [​IMG]
    Tiny: 14.5"H x 12.5"W x 11.5"D
    Lightweight: 21 lbs. NOTE: That's 21lbs total!!! (amp/cab)
    Powerful: 100 Watts
    Affordable: $299.

And it has DI and Chain outputs too!!!

I'm really liking my little G-K MB110, and I also got a padded cover for it from www.studioslips.com and love it. Oh and the Magna Cart Folding Hand Truck works perfect for the G-K MB110 too.

I got my Magna Cart from Sears for $22.49.
    Weight: 7lbs
    Load: 150lb
    http://www.sears.com/magna-cart-folding-hand-truck/p-00987615000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Oh and two 40inch flat bungee cords work perfect for strapping the G-K MB110 to the Magna Cart.

EDIT: Or maybe a G-K MB112-II. But honesty, trying to haul around anything bigger or heavier than the G-K MB110 on public transportation and in those kind of conditions may be a bit to much.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Hmmm.... personally I dont think a 100w 1-10 combo stands a chance in a rock band. MAYBE with pa support, with bass in monitors etc.

8. knumbskull

knumbskull

9. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I understand you need something Loud and Small, and suitable for public transport.

IMO, the cab would be an Eminence Kappalite 3012HO in a lightweight box, no tweeter, and a cloth grille for lighter weight.
    You will be trading away bass extension to gain Loud + Small.

The first pass through a design looks like 22x14x12 inches, 1 inch baffle recess, 12mm baltic birch.
    Driver plus wood is 17 pounds bare.

You will need two 4" (3.998" ID) PVC vents about 9" long.
    This nets out to 1.399 cuft internal volume, MACH at 0.044% at Xmax limit of 82 watts at 41 Hz.
    Target Fob=65.3 Hz, F3=72.7 Hz

If you use FDeck's high pass filter, you can push 400 watts down to 55 Hz, but the vents will chuff a lot at 65 Hz.

10. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    Anything you can carry on your back will probably need DI out and PA support. Given that, the TC Electronics BG 250 208 with 2x8 speakers is really small, and less boxy/cube shaped. Can fit inside a large backpack.. and is very light. The Carvin 110 seems similar and is about the same power... more EQ options and includes DI.

I can imagine a headless/steinberger style and an amp like that would be walkable quite a long distance.. and not take up too much space on public transportation.

11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

"Only -30°C" :eyebrow:

If it merely freezes overnight we get the chills.

Building two cabs you can put on cart face to face would insulate the cones for a short stay in a blast freezer, I mean wait at bus stop.

12. Snarf

Snarf

Steer clear of 110 cabs. I've played that GK, and it can't even hold up trying to hear it on its own in Sam Ash.

There are some 30 lb combos out there, some with good speaker configurations and power. Search those out.

DO NOT carry your bass in a hard case, bag it up. And I've been carrying a 2x6 30 lb combo around for gigs around NYC lately. On Tuesdays, I'll walk probably a total of 3ish miles with it. It's a HUGE drag. Getting a cart very soon. 30 lbs starts out easy, but after the first few blocks it becomes a major pain.

13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Unfortunately, portability costs.

When the bus driver slams on the breaks and people go flying, you want to have a firm grasp of your gear. I find that a good padded gig bag is the best way to go rather than a hard case. One that has a good set of straps that can go over your shoulder.

If you could use a DI life would be a lot simpler. A portable head that can be used with different cabinets that suit the venue is nice.

A hand truck is nice but if the streets aren't clean you won't be able to use it. Some winters are a lot worse than others. This year is proving to be a bad one. Maybe a toboggan or sleigh. :p

14. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I have the MarkBass CMD 121P and I can just about grab it with one hand. It's about 30 pounds. I dig it&#8230;loud and light. I got it used for about $800.

15. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    The 2x8 is 26 pounds. My guess is anything you can carry will need to go through the pa anyway. Use the amp as your monitor. Or if you use in ears maybe just a head or preamp.

16. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet? Supporting Member

A 1x12 cab should do you nicely. I saw a used Bergantino IP112 for sale. That has a 500w amp built into the cab. If you think you have the mustard to pack the full stack, you can add a second 1x12 cab for a single trip 1,000w rig that would be able to play any venue.

This has been my main stay for the better part of 5 years. When I need just one cab, I grab and go. I'll use a fold up hand truck, but it is very portable. You would need a little preamp to feed good signal to the IP rig, but there are a lot of options there.

Not sure on your price range, but the used one I found was in the $1200 range. A second cab used can be had for around the 400-550 range expected in great condition.

I live in NW Montana, we see cold here.

Have fun! :bassist:

17. Jerryr63

Jerryr63

Ampeg SVT210AV (27lbs) + PF350 head(small)
    The SVT210 has a kick like a mule and PF350 is very small and has a DI out.

The SVT210's profile makes it very easy to carry.... (tall and slim with handle on top).. it's not banging on your knees and is easy to slip through crowd in crowded bars (nothing projecting in front or back of you!!

They are around $300 each.... great value!!!

I have two SVT210's and a PF500.. I chose the PF500 for the compressor and loop Blend.

I carry the bass on my back, an SVT210 in one have and PF500 with tuner etc in case in second hand for practices and smaller gigs. I can carry it a long distance.

I also have an Eden ENX-260 head that I usually take to practices (it's lighter than the PF500... more like the PF350). It's 180 watts with one SVT210 cabinet and is surprisingly loud but not as good sounding as the Ampeg PF amps (I use a BDDI with it). I use this set to practive with one band were I actually wear hearing protection.... I'm directly across from a VOX AC30 at ear level :)

My style of play has changed quite a bit since using the SVT210 cabinets in place of the SVT15E I still have, and Eden 410XLT that I use to have. I am now more focused on punch and clarity than earth pounding lows. I really like my sound much more now... very articulate and cuts through were it counts!!

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

-30 isn't that bad... I woke up to -40 something the other day, that is not even including the wind chill, so it felt like almost -50. I really hate my climate though for the record.

Personally OP, if it is for gigging only, no practice, get a good D.I. I am guessing you are up here in Canada, basically every venue will have a good P.A. You can toss one right into your gig bag so you only have to carry one item. If you really need a rig, I can carry my bass, my Epifani 310, my MarkBass SD800 and my pedal board all in one load and it can definitely be used as a stage rig. I do it all the time even with a loud rock band with a stupid loud drummer, it would just be easier to carry a D.I.

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I agree with a gig bag you can wear like a backpack. Should be able to keep your cables, tuner etc in a pocket.

Another amp to look at would be Carvin's micro bass amps - I use an MB210. 200 watts through 2x10 speakers, it has a DI out or can take an extension cab if you need it. Covers most situations pretty well. the 210 version is 36 pounds, just slightly over the 30 you wanted.

20. nick0

nick0

Thank you so much for all the perspectives! And so sorry for the belated reply. I've been in-transition, with only occasional access to internet, plus a cell phone that only half-works (no data, and it randomly dies and forgets things).

Yeah, I'm living in Canada ;-) 'moving to Montréal after spending several years in Alberta. Different kind of cold, but virtually no wind, so I'm happy! Thankfully there's not enough snow for a toboggan/sleigh/dog-sled right now. After a week getting around the city, I agree absolutely that hand-truck is a good idea. With good wheels, a <50lb cab that's the same size or smaller than one of those big standard-sized plastic suitcases should be manageable. Months ago I sold my rig to buy a GB Streamliner (good DI, with my kind of tone).

Budget of $1000 for a cab, hand-truck that won't break, and a case. My bass is PU-finished, so am mostly concerned about truss-rod and tuning-related temperature issues changes. Should I be worried about more than this? The reason I say 10-15min for the gear to warm up is there were a couple of times when the band that was playing ahead of mine cancelled, and we got bumped up the list.

I guess the two main questions that remain are "Which cabinet?" and "Hard-case or something like the Mono M80?" The budget cab choice that seems like it will be loud enough for practice with a not-insanely-loud rock drummer is a GK 112. On the high end, the Baer ML112 looks ideal&#8230;from what I've read, it seems like it hits a sweet spot between PA detail and a traditional sound, so I'll have the choice to hear every little flaw in my technique, or get the sound I'm used to. I haven't tried an Ampeg SVT210 yet, but I had great difficulties getting the sound I was looking for from Neo 210HLF I tried out the other day&#8230;it seemed really boomy, and/or too much tweeter, and/or boring in the mids, or something, (tried it with a Markbass and an Eden head), and the cab wasn't even on the floor.

Once again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I'm trying to transition to making a career of bass, so it means a lot to me. :)

21. nick0

nick0

P.S. Anyone here who's survived a Winnipeg winter? ;-) I hear the American mid-west is quite similar!