Help me set up my effects pedal's Order. Please!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lovenotfear, Nov 3, 2012.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Help me set up my pedal Order. Please!!!

I have had most of these pedals for almost two years on my Pedal train 2 board, but I cant seem to get the pedal order right, so at my weekly gigs I just play clean through my amp, but I hate to see all the money i spent on these Pedals go to waste, I want to use them:crying:

What order should i put these Pedals in?

Here is what I currently have:

Hardwire Pedal Tuner

Wicker Big Muff

Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3

MXR Flanger Big Size Pedal

Decimator noise reduction

BBE Sonic Stomp

BBE Opto Stomp

MXR 10 Band EQ

Mark Bass Super Pro DI BOX

Aguilar Tone Hammer

VT Bass Tech 21

thanks for any advise on the best order to put my pedals in.

2. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

3. 5 string tapper

5 string tapper

Since I don't own any of those pedals I'll just give advice on signal path. When I start integrating pedals I usually start with only a couple and see if I can get a good sound. If I can't then I isolate to just one and see if the pedal just doesn't sound good with my bass. If it sounds bad then take it out if it sounds good then start slowly adding more and more pedals. Looks like you have a lot of EQ/tone/overdrive options so I'm not sure you'll need all of them especially if you haven't been using them anyway. Just try one or two for each specific thing you're looking for.

I tend to like having all distortions and EQ filtering before going to chorus/flange/delay so I can control my tone before the other effects really take control and color the sound. I've heard really good things about Tech 21 bass preamps so maybe try that to start out your chain and if it sounds good start adding your chorus and flanger pedals.

What's the noise reducer for? That might be doing strange things especially when coupled with multiple overdrives (higher harmonics) and EQ settings. You should be able to do what the noise reducer does just with your MXR 10 band EQ when in a live situation, just roll off the top end with a gradual curve.

In the end the best solution I've found is reducing redundancy in pedal combinations and finding anything that might be fighting (2 pedals doing opposite things) like a compressor going into a delay and into another compressor can cause very strange things to happen if you don't know what you're doing. Experiment, start slow and possibly have a friend or another bass player around to help you make judgements.

4. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Thanks i will try that out, I am so embarrassed as I play professionally 5 times every weekend, but I am Pedal stupid:bag: I know how they all work, but to get them working together right i have been struggling with.

The Decimator noise reduction works great, to get rid of buzz that i get on certain gigs in certain buildings, it does not effect my tone at all on low settings.

I have several tone shaping eq pedals because at times I may use a different bass and they all sound different, so I have the tone hammer for one, the VT bass for another, but I never would use both at the same time.

I do use some of the pedals, I just cant seem to get them to work good all hooked together on my pedal board.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Conventional wisdom is to go volume/tuning> filters> compression> *fuzz> drives> *preamps> modulation> timing.

* fuzzes maybe need to go before compression IF they get squirrely. Some people say put pre amps dead last.

If you look at my profile my effects are in the order I run them.

I would make sure wherever you put the d.i. pedals/preamps you can have decent access to their inputs and outputs.

And get a buffer for the beginning and end of the chain. Huge difference. Those and some good cables. A furman power conditioner will eliminate the noise you're getting. Plus protect all that expensive gear your plugging in.

Pic of my board.

Attached Files:

7. icecycle66

icecycle66

I like:
    Hardwire Pedal Tuner
    BBE Sonic Stomp (get rid of this garbage)
    MXR 10 Band EQ
    VT Bass Tech 21
    Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
    MXR Flanger Big Size Pedal
    Wicker Big Muff
    BBE Opto Stomp
    Decimator noise reduction (If it is the G-String, put everything before this in the loop)
    Aguilar Tone Hammer
    Mark Bass Super Pro DI BOX

8. DethByDoom

Put a tuner and compressor in the loop? Fuzz should be waaaay closer to the front of the chain. You can't go wrong following the Pete Cornish method.

I go… tuner- buffer- bass balls- compressor- fuzz- overdrive- chorus- tremolo- delay- buffer- preamp/d.i. This has been the best sounding board setup I've ever had. No noise. No signal loss.

Vintage fuzzes can be temperamental if put after buffers of compressors.

9. icecycle66

icecycle66

I didn't mean the tuner, sorry.

Tuner first, then start the loop.
    I maintain that a Comp goes in the noice loop, but at the end.

10. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

thanks for the advise guys I now have a good idea of how to re arrange my pedal board, and try the pedal order methods you guys recommended.

My original order is way off from what you guys are saying, time to un-velcroe them all and start from scratch.

Thanks!!!!:bassist:

11. DethByDoom

Do some googling on Pete Cornish and other pedalboard makers and you'll see the trend. Ice… you're doing your tone a disservice.

Also there's signal chain and pedal board layout.

The pedals I use most are on front row. Their location doesn't reflect their place in the signal chain. Route the chain for tone. Place for connivence.

12. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Thanks I certainly will google it. ;-)

I am now removing the crap pedal train Velcro that came with the board, cleaning the board and the bottom of my pedals off as well with "goo be gone", and then I will re apply the "Industrial Strength Velcro" i bought today , I tested it before buying it, it took almost all my strength to pull it apart.

I have learned in the last almost two years 2 lessons, "never use crap Velcro even if it comes the from The board manufacturer, and never ever buy the board with the soft pedal board case to save money esp. If your Velcro sucks, my pedals look like a tornado Hit them, and they are all over the place!!!!

Last Friday I called pedal train and a hard pedal train case costs over $200 and you can't by it From them but through a 3rd party website, ouch!!! Hmmmm.....

I wonder, if there are any cheaper 3rd party hard cases my pedal train 2 board will fit in?

Any advise on that?

13. MatthewC

MatthewC

This is pretty much the rule of thumb, and I agree with this. A few things to add though:

You will not want to use any compression when overdriven. Compressors are more or less exclusively for your clean tone. Always have your modulation effects (chorus, phasers, flnagers) as late as possible in your chain. This means, if available, place them in your effects loop. And, also as mentioned, any delay should be the final thing your signal sees, even after the modulation pedals.

As far as the EQs (I'm including the Sonic Stomp as an EQ) that is up to your discretion. Which ever you think sounds best.

And one last note..... There is no reason for the tuner to be in your signal chain! Find an extra output signal you are not using. Sometimes the amp has a headphone or line out. Sometimes one of your pedals will have a stereo output or a splitter. Either way, if you have any other output that would otherwise go nowhere, use that output! Of course, do not use a speaker output, but anything line level will do. Many amps have a tuner output. Bottom line: the less devices in your signal path the better, especially when you're talking as many pedals as you have.

14. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Thanks!!! This is also very helpful to me, for
    Real!!!

For over over 20 years I have been just a
    Plug in to the amp, eq things, and go player, and there is Something very pure about that I like;-)

But now I am seeing Allot of
    Times that I could Use Effects, etc.... Seems like fun!!!!

15. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

16. icecycle66

icecycle66

:confused:

I use comp "more or less" exclusively for overdrive and distortion tones.

Regarding modulation: That depends if you want you modulated sound effected by something else, or if you want something else modulated.

Do you want distorted flange?

-or-

Do you want flanged distortion?

17. icecycle66

icecycle66

***?

How am I doing my tone a disservice if that's exactly how I get the tone I want?

Wait, you like your set up one particular way, that must be the true and only correct way for anybody in the world to set up their line. That way, all bass players can sound exactly the same.

18. DethByDoom

If it works for you more power. Just saying that there's been a lot of people that have been building pedal boards for a long time professionally. They do what they do for a good reason. My experience was just a night/day difference. Wasn't a personal attack just saying you should really try it man. It's pretty cool.

Also while I'd generally have my tuner off a parallel/ stereo output of another pedal, with my current amp/band setup I really like having the ability to silent tune/mute. If you're putting together around a doz pedals one more wont hurt as long as you have the board buffered well.

19. Deedubs

Deedubs

i know this thread is old but what i do is tuner, fuzz, chorus, comp, exciter.

this thread has me thinking about different arrangements. what would you all do with the pedals i have?