1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help me think through some Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iplaymetal, Nov 15, 2012.

1. iplaymetal

iplaymetal

So the time has come once again to acquire more gear. I am looking at a new cabinet for my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 to push through. I play an '04 bubinga Warwick Corvette Std 5, I love what I've got, and have consulted TB for pretty much all of my purchases. :)

So, I'm looking at a 410 or 210 cab, I've heard tons of great things about the Avatar neos, and I am considering them heavily. I don't really want to put the money into an Eden or Epifani, but will look into really any option. Heard good things about Carvin cabinets, Ampegs and GKs. (I'm all for used gear too).

I like a tight, warm, modern sound with the growl i get from my Warwick.

Also, I need to keep up with a Peavey ValveKing 100w tube that is going into a Vader 412 cab. Would a 210 or 410 be the better option, and why? I've heard different things about vertical 210s vs a traditional 4 speaker setup, mostly in favor of the vertical 210s.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I suggest two vertically stacked 8 ohm 2x12 cabs. Face them a bit towards the guitar player. He'll feel it. The audience will love it! and you'll fill most venues without PA support and hear yourself better on stage. Put TBr fdeck's HPF-pre in the effects loop-in to control the ultra low end noise that basses generate and they'll be asking you to turn down! :bassist:

If you're into DIY, fEARful or Fitzmaurice cabs may be the way to go.

Here are a few links you may want to check out:
    1 Happy with my rig
    Gig rigs

3. dirtytone

dirtytone

i love ampegs. i would go with an ampeg svt-410he. its a good cab. i have a svt-15 and svt-18e 8 ohm that i use and it smokes. but i would love to have 410 HE LOL.

4. f64

f64 Supporting Member

In today's market I agree with going used. If it were me I'd be looking and trying everything in my area. Your head is common enough that shops should have one to try the cab with. Shops are full of used gear right now. I play Warwick's also and if I was hunting a cab I'd keep it in the trunk just so I could see what it sounds like on something you find that meets your price and weight needs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

7. Catbuster

Catbuster

GK NEO 212 is where it's at. Will do anything a 410 will, and sit better. The NEO 410 and Ampeg 410-HLF are really bottom heavy cabs, with the HLF being dubby and the GK being a little tighter and more defined.

8. iplaymetal

iplaymetal

Everybody is dropping the names of cabs, what are these cabs like? Why do you think they are the cab to buy?

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Greenboy Dually 215.

10. Catbuster

Catbuster

The general rule of thumb with bass amps: match speakers (810:412) and quadruple the power. My personal rig to destroy (or at least play alongside...) 100w guitar heads and 412s has varied, I've always used a GK 700RB, but I've switched from two NEO 410s to two 212s lately.

The 212 can get phat if you want, but it's not uber tubby and bassy to start, which makes it sit in the middle of the mix instead of jumping out on just being a bottom dweller. It's mainly a mid focused cab.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 find a cab you like, (the sound of), and double up on them. 2 matched cabs will always outperform a mixed bag. I agree, a pair of 8 ohm 2x12's would be ideal.