Help me to choose a preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

I'm currently using a Tech21 Leeds to drive a Peavey IPR1600 power amp. The Leeds does a nice job, but I feel it lacks a bit of 'growl' and thickness. I've narrowed it down to these two preamps:

Sunn Beta Bass copy
    http://correctsoundcustom.com/index/shop/0-12#!/~/product/category=2244169&id=15785054

Tronographic Rusty Box
    http://www.tronographic.com/

[DEL]Verellen Meatsmoke pedal
    http://www.verellenamplifiers.com/products.html[/DEL]

The first preamp I ever intended to buy was another Sunn copy, but I had some issues with the manufacturer that were discussed long ago in this forum, but the Rusty Box looks really good and it's cheaper. I'm not looking for a crystal clear sound; just a clean or 90% clean sound with some 'growl' as I mentioned earlier.

Share your thoughts please :bassist:
  2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

hearing how those pedals sound I will add in darkglass b7k and amt bass crunch to your list. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the pedals you choose though. One thing to take note for your consideration maybe the fact on how huge that meatsmoke is.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

+1 on the darkglass pedals. these pedals have awesome sound quality.
  4. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

+1 on AMT BC-1. Me a happy user :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

The Darkglass looks really nice, but I don't know if it would be a bit too dirty for my needs. The AMT looks interesting...I'm listening to some Youtube demos and I like the clean sound. Still, I would like to focus on the two preamps mentioned so I can avoid more GAS :help:
  7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

haha after listening to the correct sound, i rather you go for the verellen meatsmoke, but than that is just my taste of tone, the correct sound sunn copy sounds weird imo,
  8. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Yeah I don't trust the samples on Youtube. I think they sound weird because of the way they've been recorded. I've heard other samples of a Beta Bass and I really liked the sound, but the Verellen also looks really tempting. I think right now I'm leaning more towards the Beta because of this video
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm waiting for my Meatsmoke Pre to get here and I also just bought the 3leaf Audio the Enabler. I had the AMT didn't care for it but it's a very powerful pedal I also have the Tone Hammer,Fodera,Sadowsky,F Bass and Rusty Box preamps. I think all of them will get you some crunch except the F Bass or Sadowsky if you are going for the Meatsmoke you need to at least get a deposit in before the sale ends which is soon.
  10. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Yeah, I think the Verellen isn't an option anymore. I'm considering the Rusty Box though...I just would like to know how well it interacts with dirt pedals.
  11. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

While I do not have a Sunn Beta Bass amp, I do have a 100 watt, Beta guitar amp. It is a beast. It has a presence and mid punch none of my other amps have. The distortion it can create is actually very good, but sounds different than the distortion from any of my other amps, or pedals. The tone controls are very aggressive, but in a good way. I have not tried it as a bass preamp. I may do that this afternoon.