1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help me with my GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pokerdweebz, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

As of now I have 3 basses

Fender MIM Jazz
    Schecter Omen Extreme 4
    and a Yamaha BBN4 that I defretted myself

That covers a LOT of tones and I really don't need anything else. All I do is play in a classic rock cover band, BUT I was interested in getting something with a P pickup or maybe going into the realm of 5/6ers. The problem is I'm a poor college kid and it is hard to swing any purchase. I might have the ability to get a gorgeous Yamaha RBX350 in a lovely reddish brown wood color for pretty cheap. It is P/J config and I am a Yamaha fangirl. The neck on my other Yamaha is amazing. There is also this:

http://www.amazon.com/Schecter-Extreme-5-Guitar-Cherry-Handed/dp/B001RIZ2R0/

It has to be a good bass considering I like my 4 string of that model and that is a phenomenal price. I also saw a used Ibanez SR506 which looks very nice and everyone here loves SR's. I may in the future move towards a progressive metal style band (but almost definitely not soon), but as of now I am in no REAL need of a 5/6er but I'm gassing. Is it stupid to get a 5 string and just go all the way to 6?

I could possibly swing the Yamaha and the Schecter if I really want both, but I could definitely only get the Ibby. I was also in the market for a used GK Neo cab so my cab is half the weight it is now. Any bass would almost definitely end getting a cab. Should I not get anything since I really don't need it? Sorry if I sound like a ranting moron, but I'm interested in other's opinions.

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I have a lot of respect Ibanez 5 strings. Older ones were cool. I had a TR-70 passive 5 string which could have been my main bass for the last 10 years but GAS always prevails.

3. Pokerdweebz

Since I'm left handed I've pretty never been able to test anything out, but I hear very good things.

4. MakoMan

MakoMan

At first glance, as far as GAS is concerned, this is a no brainer. You already have a Yamaha and a Schecter, but no Ibanez... :D
    Oh wait, on second thought, you also don't have a 5 string and a that new Schecter 5 on Amazon is a heck of a deal and a beautiful looking bass. Reviews are good too. AND you could get the Yamaha as well?! OK, I see your problem.
    Personally, I'd go for the Schecter and Yamaha. You get a 5 string and a P/J bass you already know you'll like. When it comes to GAS.. two is better than one. Combined with the basses you already own, you should be able to get every bass tone in the universe.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pokerdweebz

That's what I was thinking. I would use a low B much more than a high C so I probably don't NEED a 6er.