Help me with Pickups Ibanez SR300

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cire113, May 5, 2010.

1. cire113

cire113

I want to replace the stock pick ups that came with my ibanez sr300... I bought this bass cause i love the feel of the bass and neck.. Now i want to put in some rocking pickups in it??

I dont know anything about pickups or replacing them..

Does anyone have any solid recommendations for me?
  2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

My Ibanez SR885 has Basslines Phase II pickups and a 2 band EQ installed. Sounds pretty good, IMO.
  3. Hopper

Hopper

Bump -

I'm in the same position. I'd like to hear from anyone who's modified one
  4. cire113

cire113

anyone else have ideas?

Also will i be able to install my own pickups or is it hard?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

These guys on TB can probably guide you through the wiring process for pickups.

I have no idea what pickups will fit the holes on an Ibanez. I'm rather curious myself.
  7. LuckyBassPlayer

LuckyBassPlayer

Bartolinis go pretty good with Ibanez SR's
  8. OldDog52

OldDog52

Do the Bartolinis fit like the stock Ibanez pickups without any drilling or anything? Anyone have a specific part number?
  9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Look on the Bartolini website. They have a page of dimensions.
  10. michele9598

michele9598

I think I may have an answer for you.

I have several basses that are "better" than my Ibanez SR300; however, I've always loved playing the Ibanez because that neck can't be beat. The stock pickups in this bass suck!!! Let me say it again, they are terrible pieces of terd.

So I bought a set of US made Barts (that fit perfectly by the way) and had them installed by Bass Specialties in Bensalem, PA. I also had the active EQ ripped out and went passive -- I'm old school. It sounds so much better now.

The Barts you need are these:

Bartolini MK4CBC-B Dual Coil Bass pickup - Neck position

http://www.catalinaguitars.com/catalog2/product_info.php?cPath=133_136&products_id=950

Bartolini MK4CBC-T Dual Coil Bass pickup - Bridge position

http://www.catalinaguitars.com/catalog2/product_info.php?cPath=133_136&products_id=949

Attached Files:

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

First Id say try adjusting the pickups. The SR300 stock pups do better then most Ive played once adjusted to taste for height etc. Its makes a very notceable diff. I will add I prefer crunchy, aggressive, not smooth voice for bass. And soapbars that do a better job of emulating a P pup rather then J pup voice fullness wise. Also have you experiemented a lot with the mid sweep/style sweeper control? That makes a big diff to.

If that doesnt work. Your gonna have to figure out what change you want sound wise? Smoother? More J pup like? What sound change to voice char do you want? Based on these things, reasonable suggestions can be made. I'm not a fan of barts myself, they sound weak and overly smooth to me.
  12. BassLegendRebor

BassLegendRebor

Hello im new to Talk bass. im 16.. want to make friend in here but dont know how. HELP!!!!??? Ohh SoonerMatt i also have a SR885 mine was made in japan in 1992. also has bass lines J- pickups with active EQ. need to talk to you asap.. thanks
  13. darius8

darius8

Carvin makes pups that looks like the stock SR300 pups but way better in quality and I think the holes line up too.
    Carvin.com : Bass Pickups
  14. avvie

avvie

Thread resurrection!

I just noticed how bad SR300 pickups sound at practice last week.... the Dragonfires in my cheapo GSR200 blew them away. One thing that's always been a problem is that the signal is really weak on the G string.

I'm almost wondering if I should put a pair of J's in with a custom pickup ring?... hmmm...
  15. lhoward

lhoward Gold Supporting Member

I have an SR300DX that I bought new about 8-9 years ago and after a couple years, I bought an EMG PJ pickup set with wiring harness and I've been very happy with them. The only thing I had to do was enlarge the P pickup inset about 1/16th inch because the EMG P pickup is a little larger than the stock Ibanez P pickup. I don't recall if I had to do that with the J pickup inset or not.

I've used a number of different brand strings, but the one's I'm using now are old Kaman Black-Kamflon coated strings. I'm not sure what current day string would be comparable, but I bought two boxes of the Kaman strings in the early '80s and they work really well with the EMG's.

Just a note, when I bought the EMG's, I don't think they made passive pickups then in the PJ configuration, so, yes, this is the active pickup system.

Lloyd Howard