help me with tone

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by varozerolf, Feb 1, 2013.

1. varozerolf

varozerolf

well i am a beginner and im going to be honest i have no idea what is a good bass amp and how the knobs change the sound on the amp and bass i have a warwick corvette rockbass 5 string and i need help getting good tone i dont want to be some ****** that just plugs in and turns everything to max.:help:

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Well you have a nice bass what kind of amp do you have? I like to keep my amp as flat as possible which on most amps is all the tone knobs at noon and do my tone shaping with my bass tone controls.

3. varozerolf

varozerolf

i am looking to buy one that is good for a metal tone something like this

4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 on that how much money do you have to spend?

7. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

He was pretty damn good.

A good metal tone from just about any combination of gear can be had, that's just something you're gonna need to figure out for yourself bro. There's no single metal tone for bass. There have been bassists with all different sounds over the years in metal bands. You have a great start with the Rockbass, it's just a matter of finding a good deal on a good amp and playing with it until you're satisfied.

But you'll definitely need something with a good amount of power, say 500 watts should do nicely. This Peavey combo would serve you very well. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise, Peavey makes solid gear, bottom line.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-tour-tnt-115-bass-combo-amp

I personally like the sound of overdrive for metal, and I use a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI because it can get really nice growl and lots of bass, and it sits really well between two high gain amps and the kick drum. They make this as an amplifier, preamp, or 3 different kinds of pedals. The amp MAY be a little wimpy, but I can't say for certain as I never played with one.

Hope this helps man.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

That is a good start! The world is filled with those people and most of them LIVE in Guitar Center. :D

The key to the tone in the video - lots of string noise, stainless steel strings that are pretty new, a rig that can pound out low end, and good fretting/plucking technique.

As already stated, what is your budget? Playing with friends yet or simply amusing yourself?

9. varozerolf

varozerolf

i have about 500$ and i just want to build a lot of skill to make some death metal projects for now

10. ChadonBass

ChadonBass Supporting Member

I'd get one of those line 6 pods that interface with your computer. They come with podfarm, gearbox and a few other programs.
    It's a inexpensive option for just practicing, you can play infront of your computer with headphones on and not bug the neighbors. You can also play along to songs you're trying to learn or with youtube instructional videos.

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Its just clean bass tone, the rest of the tone is in the players hands.

For a low budget I would say used gear Like GK, Peavey,SWR and carvin can be found in many places.

250 watts to 500watts can be fine, the real thing to get you heard over a drummer and guitarist is going to be speakers and lots of them. Combinations of 410's or a 810 is the norm.

Used 410 like GK or Peavey could be a place to start for cheap, also for low B torture a 215 will have a different presence than 10's and is preferred choice for some.
    Then if your not loud enough add more matching speakers like another 410 or 215. A single cab can only handle so much wattage....so this preaching about having more watts is just BS it more about moving more air, and only speakers can do that. In fact you need less watts if using more speakers.

Personally I cant stand 10" speakers, and wont work with them unless there is lots of them,like your standard Ampeg 810.
    Metal bass players seem to like glassy clank and deep lows that never get heard. And its fairly typical to hear 2x10's and 410's over EQ'ed to a muddy clanky bass mess. So lay off the bass boost and simmering highs, and just learn to cut through with your playing technique and keep EQ on the flat side. Also for clean tone and fast picking compression can help keep volume levels equal. Since a heavy steady hand doesnt always work with fast metal. Also distortion is more of a fuzzy compression keeps things even but off course with more of a raw distorted sound

As mentioned good way to be heard over a wall of guitards is boosting the low mids, and mids. Deep boosted lows and kranked highs might sound good in the bedroom but in a band will get lost, and boosting those lows will just drive your speakers into distortion and farting out that much faster. distortion can help carry over more presence and keep the overall volume between lighter picked notes and heavy picked notes even. The extra harmonics created in the midrange will help cut through also.

12. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

^^Truth about more speakers. I'd like to add, stating 500 watts is a good idea is because, even if the power is doubled, you'd only get 3db increase in volume, and the fact that it's plenty of cheap wattage for whatever is needed.

And clanky tone isn't always desirable, but it's up to you as to what you want to sound like. Steve DiGiorgio plays fretless, his tone is far from clanky. Some guys go for a jazzy tone IE; BTBAM. Lemmy Kilmister goes for a full-blown distorted bass tone. It's all up to you man.

13. TimCompton

TimCompton

I am new to playing bass, but picked up an older Peavey 215 cabinet with the square opening (ports?) in the middle of the cabinet, loaded with 2 15" Electrovoice 15L speakers. I have read that these speakers work fine for bass, but do not know this from experience, but I do know they do work for guitar well. This cabinet is the shallow 13" deep cabinet I did note that they only have a small piece of fiberglass insulation inside. My question is this: Should I use the acoustic foam sheets (like they sell @ partsexpress) to help dampen the standing internal frequencies ?? All advice most certainly appreciated !!!