Help me??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skateandbass, Aug 15, 2013.

1. skateandbass

skateandbass

Heyy,
    Im new to this forum, so sorry if this is in the wrong place... I did something really stupid which I now hate myself for. I wrote something down on the palm of my hand in Sharpie pen, then went to play my bass with sweaty hands. The ink has run and now has stained the neck of my bass and i have no clue how to get it off!! It's really annoying me, I always look after everything I own and I can't stop hating myself for this!! Please help.... :(

Thanks.

2. skateandbass

skateandbass

What if I sand it down? Would that be disastrous? :(

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

Do you know what the finish is on your neck?

4. skateandbass

skateandbass

I'm not entirely sure, but I know it's maple and the finish is kind of matt look. To be honest, I don't even know what model bass it is. Don't judge me haha

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DanGouge

DanGouge

Pics would help a lot in assessing your situation, both in IDing the bass and seeing what the marker looks like on the neck.

7. skateandbass

skateandbass

How do I post a picture?

8. rtslinger

rtslinger

try this I read someone took sharpie of a Martin guitar and they are expensive
    "A little of the gojo original formula non abrasive hand cleaner rubbed in till it liquefies and wipe off repeat if needed
    It is actually very gentle, I have used this on many types guitars of different finishes also many woods including Delicate antique wood furniture with amazing results"

[​IMG]

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

And...don't sand it off, not with sandpaper at least.

10. miramadar

miramadar

If you sand it off, which you can do, you'll need to be prepared to sand the entire neck, and headstock, and refinish it. Otherwise, you'll have an even uglier section of the neck to contend with. Depending on what finish you have on your neck, you can use a solvent to remove the sharpie. If you say it is "matte" finish, then my guess would be that it is nitrocellulose lacquer. Nitro is some pretty tuff stuff an can hold up to a number of different solvents, but not sure which ones. Do a google search and see which solvents would be best to use. Some suggestions for the search are acetone, denatured alcohol and regular brush cleaner. Good luck.

11. davidjackson

davidjackson

Clouseau! Is that you?

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Unless he's got a vintage bass or an AVRI, I doubt it's nitro. I feel like he'd know what kind of bass it is as well. New Fenders have a satin/matte finished poly neck. I'm not saying it's a Fender either.

Nitro is notoriously not tough compared to poly, that's why it's preferred for relic jobs and such.

13. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Assuming it's not nitro finished, you could try a little rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth, possibly a paper towel.

Sharpie and alcohol are mortal enemies. ;)

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

No sanding. Use solvents, but be CAREFUL not to damage the finish. Do tests in small, out of the way neck areas.

15. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    Saw this yesterday on FB..

Attached Files:

16. davenumber2

davenumber2

I know for a fact ethyl alcohol will take off Sharpie no problem. If it's a nitro finish naphtha (lighter fluid) should take it off.

17. skateandbass

skateandbass

Thanks for the help :) No it's not a fender (and no I'm not a he!) it's a vintage brand something or other. I'd love to ID it, but no idea where to begin.