1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help! Momentary pedal chain freak out!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adamsmatthewj, Dec 10, 2013.

1. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

So this weekend, after one complete soundcheck and one complete set, my pedalboard decided to become possessed and turn against me

In the first few bars of the first song of the 2nd set, sudden loud popping, booming, complete loss of signal, and utter shock and embarrassment occurred. I ripped my tuner off, and went direct into that to the di box, and kicked my pedalboard to the curb for the whole 2nd set

Believed it was either one of my first two pedals or one of my first two patch cables, so I removed those in between sets, and all was well for my pedalboard for the 3rd set (besides the fact that I had no octaver or overdrive!)

Problem is, I just plugged the same two pedals and patch cables back in, and there's no problem. At all.

Was something just loose? Is one of my patch cables going bad? Power cable? Was there a gnome in my power brick? Am I just crazy?

(For the record I use fixed end patch cables, not the DIY kits or unsoldered ends or anything. If i did, I feel like that would have explained it)
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Could just be dust in the pots or the jacks. Unplugging it and plugging it back in might have shaken it loose and solidified the connections again.

Or it could just be black magic.
  3. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Gremlins has to be,
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Hate that stuff, it just happens sometimes. Fixed end cables can get broken solder getting jostled around in transit. Can you get to the part where the wire connects to the sleeve to check for bad joints?

I have bad luck with more than a couple of pedals in a row, so when I had a bigger pedal board I ran a passive loop switch at the beginning of the chain that would bypass everything in the event of catastrophic failure mid song. Something to consider for peace of mind at future gigs. Hope you get it sorted.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic

When you write 'power brick', are you actually using a Dunlop DC Brick(as opposed to a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power)? The power outs on the Dunlop are not isolated from each other; that MIGHT have caused problems, who knows? Also, were the connections from the power source to the individual pedals secure? If you had any non-true bypass pedals, and a power hook-up got loose or intermittent that might have caused some noise/signal interruption.
  6. adamsmatthewj

No i don't have a dunlop power brick (I usually love their products tho!) but I think it was a loose power cable to my boss octaver, that would lose the buffer and my signal would die

Idk that's the best I can figure!

Might still replace one of the patch cables just in case tho lol

Hey I guess craziness happens to us all
  7. adamsmatthewj

Yup!!
  8. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

This was happening to me for a while and I couldn't figure it out. I had 15 pedals and a 8 loop bypass strip and it would just go out sometimes, but it would be random. Kicking the pedalboard hard usually made it come back on. I eventually found fault with two different patch cables. They were the PlanetWaves custom kit ones, so I figured a connection was starting to come loose depending on how the cables would bend.

Sucks, but that's the life of a pedalboard. Just gotta be very patient to trouble shoot.