Help, my boss bass overdrive wont stop making a high pitch squeal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist96, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Bassist96

Bassist96

PLEASE HELP!!!
    My boss bass overdrive, obd-3, sounds amazing. But annoyingly makes a incredibly loud, continuous high pitch squeal the second I stop playing, no matter how much I turn the gain down or stand back from the pedal and amp it continues to do this :(
  2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

What are you powering it with? Some pedals aren't too fond of some power supplies. I have a Rocktron DC On Tap that I sometimes use in a pinch, but I cannot use it with my Depth Charge. Same thing: high pitched squeal that won't quit!
  3. Bassist96

Bassist96

It's just a 9v daisy chain, with 5 other pedals
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Has it done that from the beginning or is it something new? some of those daisy chain power supplies can't sufficiently power more than a few pedals.
  5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

What's your chain ?
  6. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Try running it with a battery. If the noise is gone, you have your culprit. The only way I can run my Depth Charger is by battery or Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. The Pedal Power is a GREAT investment if you run multiples.
  7. Bassist96

Bassist96

It is a recent problem.
    And I run also
    . Mxr bass envelope filter
    . Boss tuner
    . Aguilar tlc compressor
    . Boss syb-5 synthesizer
    . Digitech bass multichorus
    . Mxr carbon copy
  8. mcnach

mcnach

Is your compressor set very high?
    Are your mids extremely boosted?
  9. Bassist96

Bassist96

Not at all, my mids are low, due to the amount of slap I do, and it is set quiet low to.
    I just tried using the pedal by itself with a battery. The squeal backed off but it is still their
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

There's a strong possibility I'm totally out in left field, but could it be that the squealing comes from another pedal ? I'm thinking about the Digitech chorus.

I had a similar squealing problem with my JamMan Solo. It gave that squeal (whether on or off) when powered by a Boss BCB-60pedalboard, but when I used the adapter it came with (which is the same than your pedal, I just checked the manuals on the website), the squealing stopped.

If you have the PS200R-120 adapter from Digitech, use it to see if it kills the squealing. If not, might be a good idea to either borrow one if possible, just to check the theory out.
  11. Bassist96

Bassist96

Ok thanks, I sadly don't have a digitech adapter, but I took the chorus out of the chain (even all my other pedals) and it still did the noise.
  12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

OK. Wrong theory.
  13. Bassist96

Bassist96

Maybe it could be time for me to invest in a new pedal?
  14. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

15. AndyLES

AndyLES

The squealing may NOT be coming from the pedal...

...it may in fact be your PICKUPS. What kind of bass are you using? This kind of squeling may be coming from the actual coils of the pickup physically vibrating due to poor or damaged wax potting (sealing). This is known as microphonic feedback.

Does this happen with another bass?
  16. Bassist96

Bassist96

It's a fender jazz 24 active, It and no, my old passive Cort action doesn't make the sound
  17. Bassist96

Bassist96

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Then I would hazard a guess that the bass is causing the problem, not the pedal.

It could be a shielding issue causing the overdrive to feedback. Or it could simply be the bass has a very high output. Is it much louder than your Cort? If so, reduce the volume on the Fender to match the Cort's output and see if it still does it.
  19. Bassist96

Bassist96

I have to bring it to a extremely low volume before the noise stops, but also the lower I go in volume, the less overdrive I get
  20. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

But how does that compare in volume to the Cort? Is that way lower in volume than the Cort?