HELP. my GK head is DEAD!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SuperRich, Sep 21, 2012.

1. SuperRich

SuperRich

I was happily playing my american standard precision funking along to some RATM when my 1001rb started sounding really muddy and just buzzing and flapping..... this was a new sound for me.

at first I thought it was my speakers going, as i carried on playing it just got worse and worse, with each pluck there was less of the note and more of the buzzy flapping sound.

I tried changing cabinets but it was still present! this is when I started to panic.

I turned it off for a few minutes and tried it again. it sounded more like a bass this time, but without the bass,

the buzz was gone but now it sounds really awfull, kinda like when your battery is going on an active bass (my bass is passive) and the buzz is still there when hitting the low e, but not as bad.

does ANYYYONE know what this could be? I have no idea about amp electronics iv tried email GK but my emails cant seem to get through.

2. OneWayPunk

OneWayPunk

Effects loop jack dirty?
    This can cause all of those symptoms as there is a switch in the effects loop jacks and all of your signal passes through this switch, when it gets dirty...sounds like crap and sometimes no sound at all.
    Run a small cable from the effects out jack to the effects in jack and see if that fixes it, if so then get some DeOxit and spray some in the jacks to clean them out.

This is just one possible cause, but the easiest one to check without opening up the amp.

Good Luck!

3. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Sounds like it's time to take it to a tech.

4. MakoMan

MakoMan

Someone should start a fried GK amp owners club!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Any updates on this? I'm about to have to take my head in to a tech for the same thing...

7. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

no doubt. had a backline 600 about a month old and smoke just started pouring out of it at practice one time. took it home, poked around in it, didn't see anything wrong, plugged it back up and it played fine but i sold it with a quickness before anything else happened to it. will never buy another one.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Did you tell the buyer that smoke had poured out of it?

9. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

of course not. sold it to a music store and they only paid me half what i paid for it. figured they get what they pay for. guy is a shady dealer any way.

10. suvdecropp

suvdecropp

I think he didn't :eyebrow:

hmm... I saw many fried bass amps, only one was GK... but I saw a lot of fried Ampeg and Eden amps...and few SWR... so it's not a rule :smug:

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I used a 1001RB-II for several years. The night before I was leaving for a two month tour the head started making a high pitched screetch through the speakers. Luckily, I had a friend at GK who called my local Guitar Center and got them to swap it for me. I eventually went back to Ampeg tube heads and Ampeg cabs.

Call GK to find out if it is under warranty and where there is an authorized service center in your area.

12. SuperRich

SuperRich

ITS ALL FIXED but only just.

I honestly got it back today after a month and a half.

slowest electronics repair center ever, and the guy didnt like telling me what he was doing?!

all I know is it was a small problem that only effected the low end frequencies. he said there was much wrong with it, ordering the parts took all the time. He didnt even tell me what he orderd but its all fixed now for £90.

Tested and sounds great

13. neebs

neebs

He opened it. Cleaned it. Turned it on and off, until it worked. :-D

14. DumpsterDave

DumpsterDave Supporting Member

My RB1001 II started making the Frying Bacon Sound this week. Needless to say, it's getting sent to GK for repair. I also order an EDEN WT-600 shortly after.

15. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The "guy is a shady dealer" so it's OK for you to not disclose the problem and burn the next guy who buys it?

That makes YOU a shady guy who has no common decenecy, morals or ethics.

16. bumperbass

bumperbass

Why didn't you get a repair order/receipt with what parts were replaced and how much labor was involved? When I worked on amps, all the smoked/bad parts went back to the customer.

17. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply, curious on how this will play out.

18. El-Bob

El-Bob

This is interesting... I currently have a 400RB IV that's gone for repairs. It made the screeching, hissing, bacon frying sound as well. Seems to be a common problem... which is too bad, because the SVT-3 pro that I'm currently borrowing just isn't giving me that same growl the RB did.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Seems a bit shady to me that he di'nt detail the repair. :(

20. SuperRich

SuperRich

I totally agree. Just happy it works

21. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

what's wrong? did you buy it? no? then don't worry about it.