1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help my overdive is washed out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

I new to overdrive pedals. I've been using a Pork Loin for the past month. I love the sound of it but when I use it I can't seem to hear myself anymore. I'm pretty sure I'm still at the same volume. The other thing is I can't hear the effect that well even if I turn up. My drummer had know idea I was even using it. Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? Is it the pedal perhaps? Any advise?

2. capncal

capncal

Your guitarist is playing too loud!

3. jmceachern36

That's funny. I'm actually fortunate that I don't think that's true. We are defiantly not loud on stage. We use the PA for the volume. I can also hear my ocatave and chorus very well.

4. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

Are your mids scooped (set lower than your bass and treble on your amp? It is a warm, tube sounding od, but not so much that you wouldnt hear yourself. My band plays way too loud all the time. To the point that the drummer has to really work to be heard, and the Pork loin sounded great in the mix.
    Im sure you did, but try adding a bit more clean. Or turn boost the mids and highs on your amp a bit.
    If all that doesnt work, I would guess its the pedal

PS, if the PL doesnt work out, try the DarkDriving from Fuzzrocious.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmceachern36

Thanks. I'll try some eq'ing. The clean blend is all the way up....I actually just bought a Dark Driving. It may be here today or tomorrow.

7. jmceachern36

Oh and to answer your question. It's not mid scooped. Not even close.

8. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

Dark driving will cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter. Actually less "dark" than the porkloin

9. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Don't forget the clean blend on a pl is not clean - its an effected sound.

Just btw- I found the same with the pl. it got lost no matter what setting I used (internally and externally)
    I ended up moving it on and getting, among others, a hardwire cm2 and dod fx91 which definitely don't get lost!

10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Are you using flats? They have a tendency to mask overdrive.