1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

HELP!! My Zoom B3 has developed a hum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lotusland9663, Feb 17, 2014.

1. lotusland9663

lotusland9663

...I know - it hums because it doesn't know the words - lol

The hum is the same frequency as a B note on the 4th fret of the G string. It remains the same (low) volume regardless of how loud my bass/amp is.

I've tried the B3 with 3 different amps - same result

I've tried it with 4 different basses - same result

I've swapped out and tested all the power cords, and patch cords - no problem there

There is no hum when I use it with headphones - only with an amp and speakers

Any ideas??

2. Swift713

Swift713

Do you tune a 1/2 step flat?

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Try plugging it into a different wall socket? Any other pedals sharing the 9v power supply?

4. bassbrad

bassbrad

Sounds top me that the L/Stereo magic jack on the B3 is defaulted to a stereo output, try the R output.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lotusland9663

lotusland9663

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've used different wall outlets in different locations (home, studio, rehearsal space)- same result

No other pedals are used with the B3

And it doesn't matter which out (L or R) I use - no difference

I guess the next step (maybe shoulda been the first step) is to contact Zoom and see if they have any suggestions

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would try to use another power supply if possible, maybe see if a local store can let you try one if you don't have a friend. Odds are the problem is in the unit, but it could be the power supply. Other than that I would jut contact Zoom.

8. ZenG

ZenG

Maybe you have a "groundloop" hum........

I had a groundloop hum that came from my bass amp......I isolated it to the amp itself....but you could hear it elsewhere when I connected the amp to other equipment.

I used an Ebtech anti-hum plug....plug this in the wall (3 prong) and then plug amp (3 prong) into that.

It didn't entirely eliminate it but it certainly reduced it bigtime.