1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help needed deciding on pickups for a custom build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by born2lift, Jan 6, 2014.

1. born2lift

born2lift

I posted this in the pickups forum, but wasn't sure it that's actually where it belongs so I'm posting it here too.

I'm hoping the guys here with experience can help guide me to a brand of pickups and preamp for a custom build that Shawn May, of May Custom Basses will be building for me.
    It will be a 4 string single cut with a body back made of Bubinga and a top of Waterfall or Pommele Bubinga. It will also be chambered to lighten it up. The neck will be Wenge and Bubinga laminate and the fretboard will be Macassar Ebony. All Hipshot hardware.

I am leaning toward a split Precsision pickup in the neck (sweet spot) and a Jazz style pickup in the bridge position. Although, I am open to suggestions in a different combo if that's what it will take to get the tones I'm after.

The primary tone I'm after, is the bass tone from the albums Facelift and Dirt from Alice in Chains.
    I'd also like to be able to get 80s metal and classic rock tones.
    The amp I play thru is an Ampeg SVT CL, the Korean made one wit KT88 JJ tubes. I run that into an Ampeg 8x10 cab.

I also love the Steve Harris tone, although I gave 2 Fender P basses that cover that well.

I'd really appreciate input as to which pickup and preamp combos would best get me where I'd like to be tone wise.
  2. cnltb

cnltb

I tend to go with bassculture.
    You tell them what you are after and they make it for you.
    Very responsive to e-mail they are too.
    They also make very good pickups!
    http://bassculture.de/