Help Needed: High-C Five String Set Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carlis, Nov 8, 2012.

1. carlis

carlis

Hello TBers. I am writing this in the hope that your vast experience can shed some light on my future direction. ;)

I have been using Sadowsky Blue label nickel, light gauge 40-125T, on my five-string basses and love their moderate tension yet tight sounding. Before settling with this brand I used DR Hi-beams, sunbeams, Ken Smiths, D'addario's, Dean Markley...you name it. None of them fit my taste as perfectly as the last one does. :bassist:

Now here is my problem. I have been exploring a new possibility as a solo bassist and trying to string some basses with EADGC tuning. I wish Sadowsky made 6-string sets but unfortunately they didn't, so DR Sunbeam 105-45 plus .030 C is what I use for the moment, but I feel slightly unbalanced tension across the highest string to the others.

Do you have any recommendation as to which 5-string set with High C resembles the tension of Sadowsky's?

I always prefer nickel strings, and a lighter gauge (40-100) as well, but I am also afraid that .030 will seem too tight to come with .040-100.

Thank you for your input in advance :hyper:
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Contact Jason at bassstringsonline.com .
  3. carlis

carlis

I get all my strings from Jason only ;) and I think he will see this post here.

just want to get more advice so that I can have a clearer idea what to do next...:smug:
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp

100-40 plus a .025/.027/.028 C will balance well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    ^^^ Yup!

40-100 4 string set with a .028 would be ideal. Yeah shame Sadowsky does not have a High-C string.
  7. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

The Fodera Matt Garrison E-C set is great!
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Just an FYI - Although some shops still have some stock of the "Matt Garrison E-C" sets on hand, Fodera no longer sells them as Garrison sets. They are now part of the standard Nickel Plated Steel line.

High C - Light: .028 .040 .060 .080 .100

(I know I only have a few sets remaining in Garrison packaging :( )