1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help Needed: High-C Five String Set Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carlis, Nov 8, 2012.

1. carlis

carlis

Hello TBers. I am writing this in the hope that your vast experience can shed some light on my future direction. ;)

I have been using Sadowsky Blue label nickel, light gauge 40-125T, on my five-string basses and love their moderate tension yet tight sounding. Before settling with this brand I used DR Hi-beams, sunbeams, Ken Smiths, D'addario's, Dean Markley...you name it. None of them fit my taste as perfectly as the last one does. :bassist:

Now here is my problem. I have been exploring a new possibility as a solo bassist and trying to string some basses with EADGC tuning. I wish Sadowsky made 6-string sets but unfortunately they didn't, so DR Sunbeam 105-45 plus .030 C is what I use for the moment, but I feel slightly unbalanced tension across the highest string to the others.

Do you have any recommendation as to which 5-string set with High C resembles the tension of Sadowsky's?

I always prefer nickel strings, and a lighter gauge (40-100) as well, but I am also afraid that .030 will seem too tight to come with .040-100.

Thank you for your input in advance :hyper:
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes

Contact Jason at bassstringsonline.com .
  3. carlis

carlis

I get all my strings from Jason only ;) and I think he will see this post here.

just want to get more advice so that I can have a clearer idea what to do next...:smug:
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp

100-40 plus a .025/.027/.028 C will balance well.
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    ^^^ Yup!

40-100 4 string set with a .028 would be ideal. Yeah shame Sadowsky does not have a High-C string.
  6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

The Fodera Matt Garrison E-C set is great!
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Just an FYI - Although some shops still have some stock of the "Matt Garrison E-C" sets on hand, Fodera no longer sells them as Garrison sets. They are now part of the standard Nickel Plated Steel line.

High C - Light: .028 .040 .060 .080 .100

(I know I only have a few sets remaining in Garrison packaging :( )