Help needed : mark bass head, no money for mark bass cab, advice?!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Claire_Grillz, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Claire_Grillz

Claire_Grillz

Hey,

I'm a total newie to this site but I have read it often when I need advice.. So I thought I'd suss out some help here.

I just bought a second hand Little Rocker 500 Markbass head from a friend who gave me an awesome deal.

I now need a cab. What cabs should I be looking at that will do the mark justice?? I've tried Mark cabs and love them, but they are serious money. My budget is around $800, could stretch higher but only just. I was considering a 400W mark cab but then if I crank the head, will it blow? That might be a weird question, I don't know.

I'm upgrading from a Fender Rumble 100 combo so this is all a bit of a learning curve for me. But I'm at a stage now where I desperately need good gear..

Any advice would be amazing! :help:

2. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Your LM Rocker is 500 Watts with 4 Ohm and 300 Watts with 8 Ohm cab. So if you have a chance to get any of their 8 Ohm cabs you'll be fine.

3. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

4. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

$800 will buy you a lot of cab/s in the used/2nd hand market... You don't need to match brands of head to cabs... I would advise buying used until you get a feel for what you need volume wise and tone wise... That way you can save some cash, and not loose a whole lot ($) when you or your needs change...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You can buy any Markbass cab for less than $800 on the used market.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

An Avatar B210 neo (8 ohm) would be a good pairing and sound great with that head for about $400 new. And you could pick up a matching one down the road for a full vertical stack of boom.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I agree, I use the dual 2x10 stack and it works very well. Mine are Acme but from what I've read in these pages, avatar make some good stuff.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

This. I bought a 610 years ago for this price and am currently selling a 410 for a little more than half that with a cover...

Also, MarkBass heads are flat, their cabinets have a distinct low mid bump, while I enjoy their cabinets they are not for everybody and are not a flat response.

10. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

You can get a used Ampeg 810 for half of your budget!

11. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest you take your bass and amp and try out used or new cabs in your price range. You might find a lot of cabs that sound as good or better than the MarkBass cabs. Craig's list, GC or other music store's used even good cabs can be found in pawn shops. $800 will not limit your choice of good cabs.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Claire, something that you WILL need to know with separates is how impedance works. If a cabinet is 8Ω then two of them will be 4Ω. All the output jacks are usually wired in parallel. Your amplifier can handle a 4Ω load but nothing less than that. Your choices are limited to one 4Ω cabinet or two 8Ω cabinets as has been posted. When buying cabinets identical cabinets work better together than dissimilar ones.

May I welcome you to TB - it's nice when a lady stops by. :D

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For $850 you could get a brand new Bergantino NV115. You won't be needing another cab for a lonnnnng time.

14. Claire_Grillz

Claire_Grillz

Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome. I'm going to research the cabs you suggested and see if I can test any out second hand or in stores..

That's such a big help! My band/other muso's give me all this advice but I think I'm gonna trust the bass players over guitarists ;)

Time to search! :hyper:

15. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

+1
    My rig is a Little Mark III and two GK 112 Neo cabinets. Great sounding and very portable rig. I paid about $550 used total for both cabinets.

16. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I've seen used Ampeg heritage 8x10s go for less than 800$. Get one of those and you are set for life. Or even a regular ampeg 8x10e.

17. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Try any brand or configuration you can. #1 rule: Play before you pay (and #2: Most guitarists are completely clueless for bass or PA). :D

18. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    or save a little longer and buy what ever Mark Bass cab you want.

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I don't know how much volume you need, but there are a ton of great small cabs for under $800. As people said, used Markbass cabs will fit your budget, as well. It's hard to advise since we don't know what kind of tone you are after. If you can visit a music store or two and bring your head and bass along, that's the best way to see what's out there and what it will sound like with the gear you already own.

My advise is not to scrimp on a cab, but to get the best sounding one you can afford.

I agree with Munji that a Bergantino cab is a great investment that you wouldn't outgrow in the future.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

That should be rule #1, really. :meh: :rollno: :D

Unless said guitardist is also a bassist, then that rule is negated (usually). ;)

21. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Welcome, Claire. :cool:

Where are you located? There could be some real bassists near you who could help you in your quest.