Help on a possible valve amp purchase.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by J3G2, Dec 20, 2012.

1. J3G2

J3G2

Hi fellas!

I have come across a deal on a valve amplifier made by Eagle International (Japanese made in the 60's) for a good price, as far as valve/tube amps go. I don't think it's meant to be for bass or guitar but my idea was to use it as a poweramp along side my regular head.

Some details:

ONE ECC 85 PREAMP VALVE PLUS FOUR EL84 OUTPUT VALVES.

POINT TO POINT WIRING OF VALVES RATHER THAN PCB MOUNTED ON A CIRCUIT BOARD.

THERE IS A CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE INPUTS AS IT TAKES MICS AS WELL AS AUX LINE SIGNAL.

I would really love to have some valve power in my bass arsenal but know near enough to nothing about the finer details when it comes to things that aren't solid state.

Could any of you guys chime in with some experience or advice in regards to doing something along these lines?

Thanks a bunch!
  2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

With 4 EL84's in the power section, it's only good for about 32 watts power output.

Great for a guitar amp, but not near enough power to even mess with for bass use.
  3. J3G2

J3G2

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated!

My cabs are fairly sensitive and can get plenty loud with little power (tried this using a 5 watt SS guitar amp and I do dabble in a bit of 6 string playing. I would also love to use something like this for recording purposes as it wouldn't take much to push it to the limit.

I was wondering if there would be any problems between the pre of my current amp and the valve amp in question when working together. Excuse me if it's a silly question but I'm new to these things :)

Weight and the price of the unit is not an issue here. More concerned about any problems/irregularities involved with this sort of setup.

Thanks
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

No real way of knowing if the effects out on your current head will meet the input voltage needs of the line input or if there will be an impedance miss-match. My guess is the impedance won't be a problem the voltage level may need a work around.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I have jammed with a drummer with a 4 EL34 head. Works fine with a sensitive cab, even fairly clean, somewhere around 50w.

This bit makes no sense though:
    "
    POINT TO POINT WIRING OF VALVES RATHER THAN PCB MOUNTED ON A CIRCUIT BOARD."

You have "...circuit board mounted on a circuit board" there. Chances are, its some sort of circuit board (but not a printed one), and wires aregoing to the valve bases. If the valves themselves are actually wired, its pretty much not worth bothering with, seriously amateur stuff, even the cheapest of the cheap production amps used valve bases, but some kits and home made jobs wired the valves in.

Should get it serviced and checked out before doing much with it, they can predate some safety standards.
  7. J3G2

J3G2

Now there's something I never even thought about.

I've found out that it's a PA amp if that adds any information? I know a couple of guys who should be able to work with the voltage level for me.

Thanks B-string
  8. J3G2

J3G2

Mr Foxen that's good to know.

Here's a link to the eBay listing. Could you/anybody have a quick look over it and make a judgement? There's an image in the listing which shows the "guts" of the amp.

Judging by what you said I am actually leaning away from getting it now, but that can still change if it's not "seriously amateur stuff".
  9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    No link there, find the item number and post it. If it is well made, it tends to show up in the form of looking tidy, you have hands the same as whoever wired it, picture making it, would you be proud of that work to look at? Do you think you could do better with practice etc.
  10. J3G2

J3G2

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Ah, too expensive for what it is. Happy to say that as its my area in my currency. Needs work to be used, can pick up a 2xEL34 60w PA or similar in need of work for that money and it will be handier for bass.
  12. J3G2

J3G2

Well you've saved my eager arse there mate, cheers!

Where would you suggest looking for a sub £200 valve power amp new/used in this country (I'm London based and the used market is poor).

I'd buy you a pint if I could haha.
  13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Agree already priced too high. 4 EL84's will not provide an honest 50 watts anyway.
  14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Actually, if those are Mullard EL84, it is worth that, since those are valuable, wouldn't bank on that and them working well enough though.

Basically, finding a good tech to sort it will be harder than finding an amp, ebay or gumtree for an old carlsbro or something, and being faster than me at getting it. I'm jsut into vintage stuff, but there is modern stuff that is workable, Peavey 100watters come up around £200, the Laney AORs also come up at £200 (any less and I buy them) guitar amps but good enough for dirty valvey bass, especially witht he low boost option they have. With no tech a newer Peavey Windsor or similar is probably the way to go, I think they have an fx loop to go straight to power amp, or one can be fitted as easily as sorting proper outputs on that Eagle. Anything old will need work, and that can get expensive. Definitely keen on the idea of using as a power amp with your other head? Any issue with using as a standalone?
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

With cathode bias yes but around 50W using fixed bias. Just Nit picking Bill! :D
  16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Agreed, for 150 Quid there's better to be had.
  17. J3G2

J3G2

Mr Foxen, thanks! I'll be on the lookout for a Laney(bit of a fanboy). I honestly don't mind using a straight up standalone valve amp but there's something special about my Laney B1's pre...I can't describe it.

The truth here is that I'm just looking for a valve power amp to rock with so anything will do as long as I can drive it a bit.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
  18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    PMed with some stuff.