1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

HELP on DIMARZIO ULTRA JAZZ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by natas, Mar 30, 2014.

1. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi! anyone here who uses dimarzio ultra jazz 5?
    What electronics (pots, preamp) do you use it with?
    And also can you share wiring diagrams? I want to have it in active/passive in my bass. TIA

2. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    I have a set of Ultra Jazz pups paired with a J Retro preamp in my fretless.
    The combination is very modern sounding and has a truckload of tonal options available, highly recommended if that's what you're going for.

3. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    thanks man.how about pots and other electronic factors? can you share wiring diagram for your set-up?

4. ..try the search function...

5. Sponsored by:

6. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    I already did.however i haven't found preamp suggestions and pots and cap values.that's why i tried to post another thread.
    I've also seen you had a problem before about wiring.how did it go?

7. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    mine got the radiused poles btw. do they make them like these now?

8. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    Mine are brand new and don't have the adjustable pole pieces. I don't have a wiring diagram as you just connect the pickups to the J Retro via 2 screw terminals.

If you're going for standard jazz wiring, consider wiring with a push/pull pot for series/parallel operation. I did this wiring in my fretted Jazz and it gives it a lot more flexibility, plus it's not that hard to do.

Link to wiring diagram

9. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    i just received an email from dimarzio. apparently their 4 string version are flush straight and the 5ers are radiused. as for the controls, i forgot to mention that my bass has 8 holes so i'm thinking 6knobs and 2 switches. eyeing an obp3. any reactions or suggestions?

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    You can go nuts with the obp3, that's for sure.
    With 8 holes, you could do the 3 tone pots, a volume, pan, and passive tone. Then 2 switches, active/passive and mid frequency.

If I were you, I'd get 500k pots for the volume, whether you use the obp or not.

11. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    thanks rojo. that's actually what i had in mind. on a sad note,my aunt ordered the tk/pp so i might have it rewired,change the push/pull pot as soon as it arrives
    ...or i could add another switch? harhar..

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Series/parallel!
    You'd have to do vol/vol though

13. If I remember correctly from my install (was years ago), the coils in the Ultra Jazz 5 are wired internally in series, so I don't think you have that option. Installation doc confirms this:

http://dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/UltraJazz5.pdf

If it did, it would have 4 conductors and a shield coming from it.

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Sorry, I meant both pickups in series/parallel.
    I know the 4 string you can switch, but not the 5.

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Reactions or suggestions? Sure. My Carvin LB70 four-string bass has a set of Ultra Jazz + an Aguilar OBP-3. I've found it to be a great combination: smooth, modern, refined and slightly-scooped (due to the Ultra Jazz), yet deep, crisp and powerful (due to the OBP-3). I love it!

MM

16. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    i have a 5'er.so can I not have it with a series/parallel switch?looks like it's more complicated than i thought. i was planning on having it Vpp Blend Passive tone Low Mid High then mid freq Sw and Series/Parallel Sw

17. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Long story short, unless you use a special switch, you can't do series parallel with both pickups if you are using a blend knob. But if you do vol-vol, you could.

You can look it up, though, the switch is like a 4pdt and the wiring diagram is on here somewhere.

18. Osmar Rodrigo

Osmar Rodrigo

Apr 24, 2014
    I run them through a VT Sansamp directly to my amp, the compression on the vt and the removal of hissing with the pickups give me a really nice tone and a crystal clear sound.