Help on getting this warm (?) bass tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vishuddha, Mar 23, 2014.

1. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong section for this... but I have been dying to figure out how this dude gets this bass tone!

There's a very short bass break around 3:05 where you can really hear it. I LOVE this tone and have no idea how to go about getting it... Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Also, I am really bad with EQ terminology. How would this sound be described? Warm?

Thanks!

2. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

To me it sounded like he cranked up the low mids on his EQ.
    Warm is so subjective as is most of the terms thrown around to describe tones. "Crunch" is really the only tone that most people seem to collectively agree on. IMO

3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

agree with xxl. to me this makes me think of active bass. can't say why....what are you playing through now? amp, bass, etc......

4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

anyone know of a sticky around here that might help the op with eq'ing or definitions, terminology or hints?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vishuddha

Bass is an Ibanez ATK and I've got a Warwick Fortress coming in within a few weeks... Just sold my Bmax->Crown setup to get an Epifani PS600 this week... through a 1515/66. Is this possible with that? I have always just played with the controls until the bass sounded good but never actually tried to go for a specific tone.

Any link to a sticky would be awesome as well. I appreciate all the answers so far! I definitely got a lot closer when I bumped up the mids. I always had them swept but I made it even more drastic and I could tell it was getting there.

7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i would think something similar is possible, but i think eq is the trick here. definitely don't want to scoop those mids. those mids are really what make you cut through the mix. there might be some type of preamp pedal that might help a bit too, but first i would play with this setup and get used to it before i spent anymore cash flow. can't find a sticky, but i'm also really unobservant!

8. vishuddha

Fortunately, I learned this a while back thanks to TB forums and it's awesome being able to cut through... my mids have been swept for a long time and I'll never go back to scooping, but there's just something about that tone that I still can't quite get. Like, it's *almost* TOO warm. No brightness, and not really a lot of attack. Kind of "flubby". Do you think a compressor would be useful here?

9. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

man, compressors probably aren't what you are going for here. not saying they aren't helpful. check this out by fellow tb'er (bongomania i believe?) ovnilab.com

i apologize if i gave credit to the wrong tb user. beer often gets in the way of a otherwise properly functioning memory.

10. vishuddha

Hahaha. I am checking that out right now, thanks. So what is it that is cutting out all of his attack?

11. ahc

ahc

12. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

compression is such a subtle effect. maybe it is useful to you, but i wouldn't rush out and drop cash on it right away. does that cat play with a pick or fingers? fingers seem to have a bassier softer attack, whereas picks seem to have a bit more bite and attack.

of course, i'm just spit ballin' here. you know what they say, "talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

13. vishuddha

14. vishuddha

15. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i think you're at a good starting point. and i totally understand obsessing over evry little thing. i could get so much more done if i didn't, but it is what it is.......this is our curse!

16. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

Pretty much, but keep in mind recorded music usually has alot of processing done, and everyones gear is different to some degree. Its pretty hard to nail down someones specific tone, but getting in the ballpark is usually a good goal.

I like to try and check the live tones and see how the match up to the recorded ones.

17. vishuddha

And what an annoying curse it is... haha.

I've noticed that his live tone seems to be pretty close. But here's always some studio magic involved... ugh!