1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help! Package lost between Canada and me?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by the art guy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Problem: I bought an item from someone on here, and it was shipped from Canada (I live in Iowa). The tracking shows it was received at a facility in Chicago a week ago, then nothing shows up after that. That doesn't seem right.

USPS says there's nothing they can do (even though my local post office guy says they should be able to contact the Chicago sorting facility). Apparently any investigation has to be started through the sender with Canada Post, but he tells me that they say they can only investigate if it was shipped to Canada, not internationally. What?

So I have no choice but to sit and hope that it somehow makes its way out of Chicago, even though it hasn't been scanned in seven days? This is frustrating. Any advice?

Just to be clear, I'm not upset with the seller - he's being as helpful as he can. I just don't know what to do -- it was a VERY expensive purchase.

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I am hoping it wasnt what I think it is.I dont have much advice on this subject except have the seller try a few other people to see what can be done, the original person he talked to may have just been trying to pass the buck.

3. the art guy

Yeah, unfortunately it's exactly what you think it is. :( Surely CP should be able to do something from their end.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Did the seller insure the shipment? If so, someone lost the pkg and has to pay. If not, not sure what recourse you have!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

It could be tied up in customs.

7. StevieMac

StevieMac

^ ^ Absolutely. I’ve had stuff held up a couple of weeks coming from the US to Canada. Sometimes it goes quick, sometimes not so much.

8. the art guy

Yeah, I've been getting that advice from many sources now. Hopefully it's just in customs.

9. robotriot

robotriot

any updates on this? this sucks man! I hope everything's worked out!

10. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

This. For sure. I've had stuff held up for weeks, both coming and going, on either side of the border, and the tracking doesn't show it moving an inch. Then, all of a sudden, BOOM! it shows up. It can be excruciating for both parties. GL bro! I hope it all works out.

11. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

If its in Chicago, it should be in the hands of USPS (and/or US Customs), so that's strange that they can't track it down. Once it crosses the border, Canada Post is done with it. If it was Canada Post hanging on to it for some reason (and I've seen this happen), then you'd be seeing from the updates that it never left the country.

Customs (at least Canadian customs) can take a ridiculously long time, even with small things. 2-3 weeks isn't unheard of at all. I don't know if its the same in the US.

Otherwise, I would think this situation is just like any other lost package in the mail, whether it was within one country or crossing borders. If USPS or any other service lost it, then hopefully it was insured somehow.

Best of luck, hopefully it ends up alright.

12. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Was the package sent Priority Mail? If not, the package will be unable to track. We send out many international packages via USPS where i work, and if it wasn't sent Priority, all i can say is good luck. If it was a small item that could be shipped 1st class (to save money obviously), you are at the mercy of the postal service.

EDIT: my bad.. i just realized you were not the SENDER. Does Canada Post have different shipping options like we have with 1st Class and Priority? If it was sent the cheaper way, i still think you'd have a hard time finding any tracking info.