HELP! Please recommend a distortion pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hekbass, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Hekbass

Hekbass

I've only used multi-effects pedals so far. But, I'm thinking of getting a few individual pedals instead, and do a small pedalboard with distortion, chorus, reverb, and a modulation/envelope filter pedal. My main concern is the distortion. I need a pedal which can give me various different distortion sounds - from very subtle to the gnarliest fuzz - and which allows me to switch between at least 2 of those sounds without having to bend down to tweak anything with my hands. I can do that very easily with the multi-fx by switching between two distortion patches. There's songs of mine that require a different distortion type for different parts of the song. It needs to provide me a beefy distortion which will keep the bottom heavy. The idea is to get a heavy distortion which can stand on its own - my project's concept is based on the idea of a guitar-less line up. It's only bass, drums, and vocals. If you feel like humoring me, take a listen to the song below. I think that my distortion sound could be beefier there. Any suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated. I'm just almost entirely clueless when it comes to pedals, I need guidance! Thanks in advance!! // http://www.reverbnation.com/voiceofthevortex/song/9773132-reason-and-wonder
  2. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Even though it's another multi of sorts, the Source Audio OFD is getting a lot of love around here lately. Maybe a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail with the 2nd distortion switch.
  3. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Plus the SA Bass Multi Distortion is pretty cool as well.
  4. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Big box Proco Rat is the distortion i like the best.
    Either that or Dr. Scientist The Elements, love that pedal as well.
    The Elements being the much more versatile of the 2.
  5. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

The OFD does that and then some. It has a full EQ that allows you to maximize how much space your tone occupies.
  6. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

+1 on the OFD. I use it as a Tube Drive on one preset and Octave Fuzz on the other. Oh lawdy I love it. I've gone through a lot of dirt, the OFD has become a permanent resident on my board. For flexibility and sonic quality the OFD cannot be beat.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Empress Multidrive might do the trick. It's got 3 seperate effects...fuzz, OD, and distortion. It has 2 channels, and you can assign any two of those three effects to the two channels. I used mine for fat overdrive and gnarly fuzz. Incredible pedal. It also has a master EQ section and each effect has a lowpass or highpass filter built in.
  8. Hekbass

Hekbass

THANKS, GUYS! Yeah, the Soundblox seems pretty awesome. I'm gonna be checking out all the other suggestions.
  9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Empress Multidrive - three pedals in one

TAFM with gate switch - like two pedals in one

Lots of other pedals out there that have a second switch to kick something else in that could work for you. Have fun searching for them! :)