1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help please with choosing best amp for plectrum users!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by craigtails, Jan 17, 2014.

1. craigtails

craigtails

Hi all, I'm new here but love the sight. I am trying to decide on the best amp for me to purchase. Yes I use pick, it is my choice and style. What I'm after is advice on the best amp that can hide the click sound of my pick. I use .88 Dunlop for warmth and have a EB Stingray. I alter my settings on my bass and current little amp (line 6 lowdown 150). Some choices I am looking at are Ampeg SVT 7pro, Orange 500, Genz Benz Shuttlemax. I love my SVT 3 (not pro) but it just died :( I hope it gets fixed but can't trust it anymore so time to upgrade with my main aim of a warm deep sustaining airy sound that will help hide the pick click that is sometimes present.
    Thanks in advance on any tried experienced advice.
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    You don't need a specific amp for this. You'd be much better off learning gain structure and EQ. I don't know the EQ point for pick attack off the cuff of my sleeve, but ideally you'd just notch that frequency out. I don't think you have that option on any of your amps, so I'd mostly play around with the EQ options available to see where you can minimize the attack and see if that helps enough for your taste. Some compression may help too.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I use a G-K Fusion 550 and have no trouble hiding or accentuating pick-click.
  4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    Maybe you should try a different string. You don't say what you are using now, but it seems like trying out flat wounds might be a good idea.
  5. craigtails

craigtails

Thanks for the advice Selta. I'm hoping someone out there is a pick player mostly and knows exactly what amp would get me there. For example, I was nearly buying a Little Mark 3 but since have read it is so clean, nearly too clean for the sound I want and would probably not hide the click as good as say a Orange Terror 500? I like the idea of a compression pedal and maybe an eq pedal as well. Just need to make the final decision on the amp. There are so many to choose from.
  6. craigtails

craigtails

I am using Elixars if that's how you spell it. Flat wounds aye? Interesting concept.
  7. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

I have a Tech 21 Landmark 600 and it rocks when I play with a pick. Being able to blend a distorted channel with a clean one gave the pick just the right amount of edge and presence.
  8. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I see. I play with a pick probably 90% of the time. In my primary band, 100%, and in my side projects I play mostly with a pick. I know with my amps, I can always dial out pick attack even just with my bass (Bongo's). But, every player is different.
  9. craigtails

craigtails

Yes fair enough Selta. I could probably dial it out on my bass. Just currently I have been having to run my amp nearly flat out and as I pick quite firmly, the pick click has reimurged slightly. I'm guessing once I get some descent volume going again I will be able to lighten off my picking. Still I think there could be an amp out there that could dial out the pick click frequency better than others. Warm tubey growl. I quite like the bass sound from the band "Birds of Tokyo" if you have heard of them.
  10. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

Just roll your tone back on your bass. That simple.
  11. millsbass5

millsbass5

Not one person has even mentioned the rare, but, supple feel of a felt pick. And, they feel great against your nipples, too. Don't even ask...... :bag:
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Dial the treble back on your Stingray

Seriously though, there is no special amp for pick players. Most bassists who play with a pick do so because they actually want the very sound you are trying to dial out.

I'm not turning this into a pick vs. fingers debate (I use both very regularly), but have you given any thought on just trying to play with your fingers? Having a good fingerstyle and pickstyle technique will make you a more well rounded bassist.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

You want to reduce the high frequencies. Other than dialing back treble at the amp, strings and technique.

A round wound string is going to make noise with a pick. Better with a flat wound. Technique can also make a difference. You could also try picking with the pick just sticking beyond your finger ends so that your finger mutes the string a bit. A light palm mute can help cut the high frequencies as well. As was mentioned, a felt pick works. Dunlop makes some.
  14. ThisBass

ThisBass

For plec I do a slightly cut on upper response with treble tone control on the instrument EQ tone stack, that's all.
    Precondition is a well balanced instrument, that covers string action and neck relief and PU hight, as well as the strings.
    Amplification is rudimentary things, if it does not sound well with fingers then it can't sound well with plec.
  15. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I picked up bass after first playing guitar with a pick, so I started out using a pick on bass, and went through a long period of trying soft/hard thick/thin picks before settling on... .88mm Dunlop nylon. I converted to fingerstyle a few years later. But when I was using a pick, I don't remember the "click" being such an issue, except when I was using thin, rigid picks. And, on those occasions where I do use a pick now (typically a 1mm Tortex, because that's what I use on guitar), I don't notice any issues. So there's an element of technique as well as materiel. I suspect it may be a question of where on the string you pick, relative to where your pickups are situated. Suggest you experiment with picking nearer/further from pickups, bridge, etc. EQ will help, but I don't think amp choice makes all that much difference. My EBS head has a very nice built-in compressor that needs to be set completely differently for pick vs. fingerstyle, but most amps don't present that issue.
  16. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

+1. That's all I do. That and flatwound strings.
  17. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

Embrace the click ;)

Rezdog
  18. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

This is what I do when I go from fingers to pick.

I play flats on a P. I use a a .50 Dunlop Tortex (the really thin one). I hold the pick closer to the point so I get finger meat on the string.