1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dylant31, Feb 23, 2014.

1. dylant31

dylant31

So before I start, don't judge me because I want a six-string fretless, I play a six now, and I love the sound of fretless's. okay. So I found an eBay listing for a DIY bass, and I'm very interested... But... I don't know if anything I'm thinking about is good. If someone, or anyone really could help me out, it would be very appreciated :) Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unfinished-...w-/310865819310?pt=Guitar&hash=item48610bf6ae My main questions are, the pickups are just generic, should I buy new ones? And also it's unfinished wood, I would like to keep the natural grain and just stain it. I don't know what kind of stain I should use, or if I need to do anything to the neck or fretboard. HELP ME OUT GUYS :)
  2. SlapPopBass

SlapPopBass

Supposedly these few lines of DIY assembly basses are not very well made. The neck joints are supposedly badly cut, don't line up and overall it has very bad build quality. The electronics are not very reliable and supposedly don't work a damn, and if they do sound bad. But hey, what can you expect from cheaply made China imports? :(
  3. Apolicious

Apolicious

I'd say don't buy it unless you want to get into some serious (ly annoying) luthiery work. Before you even get into whether or not to replace the pickups etc., you need to see if it's going to be playable at all.

If you want a fretless sixer, there are cheap instruments out there to get you started. And trust me, you'll want something to practice on first. A fretless six is a whole 'nother animal.

Check out http://www.rondomusic.com/Bassguitarfretless.html
    I own a fretted six string SX, and I absolutely adore it. And if you want to get into upgrades, it'll be a hell of a lot easier on something already put together.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I can't speak about that particular kit, but you may want to read my cautionary tale before embarking on any kit.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/embarrassing-true-story-my-carvin-kit-bass-1029920/

As for your questions, you wouldn't necessarily have to stain it, but you would need to put some kind of finish on it that seals out moisture. I used tung oil on mine.

And for a cheapo kit like this, I'd certainly include new pups in the budget.
  5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

And note this from the ebay page you linked:

"Please note that these kits do not come with instructions or wiring diagrams. However there is plenty of information on the web and videos on youtube for guitar assembly and making guitars."
  6. GM60466

GM60466

save your $$$$$
  7. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

That bass from rondomusic looks great. I'd keep an eye out for used carvin fretless sixers too.
  8. Mace44

Mace44

Don't do it. Save your money and buy a real instrument.