1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help-replacing pickups in Brice Prestize Z6....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stix_clgi, May 11, 2011.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

What's up TB!!!

So I've read a lot about different pickup configurations, including opinions on why this set sounds better than this set, etc; I know that these opinions, especially about sound, are subjective, so I'd like just as general an answer to my question as possible.

If you had to choose between a custom set of Kent Armstrong pups or a set of the Bartolini Quad Coil XXM56's, which would you choose?

I personally love the sound of Ken Smith basses and from what I've read Kent Armstrong or his associates are the original makers of the Ken Smith pickups. I was also told that KA could tune the pickups to sound like a Ken Smith. That said, I know the Quad coil Bartolinis will probably offer a little more tonal versatility, especially if they are wired with the proper dpdt switches (I'll need help with that too lol)...

More info: My particular bass has a maple fretboard which brightens the sound some.The preamp I'm installing is an Aguilar OBP-3 that's wired V-B-M(push/pull)-T/B stack-passive Tone. I've had an OBP-3 installed in a Jazz before and I absolutely love the versatility I get.

I may just be talking (writing) out-loud to organize my thoughts, but any input from anyone with experience, especially with the Brice Z6, is helpful. Thanks in advance and God Bless!!!
  2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Id go with the kent armstrongs if it was me. Cause Barts are a bit weak sounding to me.
  3. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Yeah I've done a lot more research, and I think the KA's are the way to go. I'm waiting on Brian Barrett from the LowEnd to tell me if Kent has a mold for my pickup size. He probably does, it's a standard 6 string soapbar. I'll do some before and after sound clips.
  4. irbass

irbass