1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help selecting first upright...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Exemonium, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

I just lost a gig playing for a theatre because I didn't also play upright bass. It was requested for 2 songs in a 30 song show...but I guess it is what it is.

That being said, I need an upright bass to learn and play! I have a Guitar Center discount and see they sell uprights now. I was wondering if someone could guide me as to what would be a nice intermediate upright I could start with. I'm by no means well off financially which is why I feel this would be my best route. I don't need something high end, but I would like something that's not junk and that I won't be embarrassed to gig with.

Also, what about these places that rent the student quality ones, any opinions there?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Look for a Shen. It's a decent entry level instrument. After you purchase one, have it set up correctly by a reputable BASS SHOP. Done deal.

3. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

I agree with Jason. Many known bass shops sell Shen's with a full setup with bridge adjusters and a real fingerboard.

4. Fretless55

Fretless55

Not to sound like a snob, but...

You're honestly not going to find a worthwhile DB at Guitar Center.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Exemonium

I agree. But I'm thinking at my income level the dB's they sell with my cost might beat what I can afford elsewhere at full price. They do sell band and orchestra stuff now. Figure maybe could get me through til I can afford and be skilled enough for a higher end one

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

I don't know anything about the basses that GC sells or who sets them up, if you can find someone to go with you to check them out, it would make a difference. Aside from that, you're listing some pretty big markets, find the place that sells/rents orchestra instruments and teaches high school kids. Someplace like Long and McQuade in Canada or Brook Mays in Texas. They'll have functional student instruments and some type of experienced luthery help.

If you were in Seattle, I'd be happy to go with you to check them out, maybe someone in your area(s) will.

8. Exemonium

Sadly GC only sells them online. But there is a place that rents out here. I'm going to check them out. Hopefully they'll have the bass brand suggested in this thread. It's too bad that the woodwind and Brasswind that was in South Bend which is nearby me has closed

9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Your location says Chicago and Kalamazoo.
    For the Chicago area see Michele at Classic Contrabass at http://www.allthingsbass.com
    She sells Shens and sets every one up before it leaves her shop.

In Michigan I'd contact Aaron Reiley of Aaron's Instruments.

10. Exemonium

Awesome thanks. I'm south bend, in as my base. But travel out somewhat regularly. I should change that.

11. the_stone

the_stone

Something to keep in mind that usually gets brought up at some point or another regarding these questions: for a lot of the low-cost basses out there being sold, the amount of money you will have to spend after the initial purchase just to get the bass set up so that it's both gig-worthy and you won't injure yourself trying to play it can add up to the point where you're really better off buying a slightly more expensive but better quality bass.

There's been a few recent threads on this subject, but definitely take the advice of the other guys who have and will chime in on this subject.

12. MostlyBass

I would make the drive to Classic Contrabass in Wheeling. Her setup Shen basses are excellent. Several of my students and my school has purchased her instruments.

Aaron is an amazing luthier (he's the son of Steven Reiley and was won awards at ISB conventions for his instruments) but I don't know if he carries Shens as extensively as Michele.

13. Exemonium

Cheapest sten these guys had was. $3800. But custom setup and payment plans. Was hoping for a tad cheaper. I may take that drive after the holidays.

14. MostlyBass

Michele's are around 1700ish fully setup. Give her a call.

15. jmacdbass

jmacdbass jmacdbass.com, openmusiccollective.org

you can find used christophers in the 1000$ range on craigslist

similar to the shen, good, if not great entry level bass, I am using one and just sold 2 others this year while waiting for upton to finish my bass

orchestra, jazz, whatever, pretty consistent

not perfect or awesome, just works

16. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

17. MostlyBass

Christophers were suggested to another bassist in a similar thread. I have a Christopher and a Shen here at the middle school I teach at. The Shen is much better. The Christopher has thick lacquer which has flaked off the and the bridge seems to be made of a lesser quality and softer maple which has not withstood the test of time. The overall production on the Shen is better as well as sounding richer.

Please ask away! As a classical bassist and orchestra director I see a lot of basses!!!

18. Exemonium

OK wow. Not as bad as I was fearing for cost. Sadly I'd have to do a payment plan. That's why I was originally attracted to the rent to own plans

19. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Find someone who will accept paypal and put it on the credit card.

20. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

You've gotten some fine advice but reading THIS is a good first step. :)