1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help Spend My $700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TwoRivers, Aug 1, 2013.

1. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

I know $700 isn't a lot of money for a bass. That being said, if you had $700 to spend on your first five string, what would you buy and why?

Additional Information: I haven't been playing bass terribly long (about 1.5 years). I've only played 4 string up to this point. I've owned a Schecter P/J, Epi T-Bird Pro, MIM Fender J, and Peavey Fury (Split P) up to this point. I haven't been terribly disappointed or over the moon with any of them, but I will say I've preferred the Fender J and Peavey Fury over the others. I'm not too stuck in my ways yet regarding active or passive electronics, pickup configurations, etc. I play at church and with a christian recording artist. Based on what I've encountered the last 1.5 years, I think I would get a lot of use out of the low B.

5 strings I have played so far include the Ibanez ATK 805e (can get used in my price range and was pretty pleased with it when I played it at GC); SUB Ray5 (holy crap this one sucked, but it was at GC and was probably set up terribly/abused quite extensively); Squier VM Jazz V (again, disappointed, but also at GC); Schecter Diamond P5 (was pretty pleased with this one); and various Ibanez SR**5 types (none that blew me away).

I plan to buy used, unless I end up not being able to find what I want used, then I'll buy new if it's under the $700 mark.

Interested in hearing what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance and I'll check back often!
  2. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy Supporting Member

Talkbass classifieds has some crazy good deals. Buy used for sure!
  3. kcole4001

kcole4001

There are a couple of USA Peavey 5ers for sale right now in the classifieds.
    You just missed out on a wicked cheap T-5 deal, but your $700 should get you a nice used Peavey pretty easy if you're not in a hurry.
  4. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

Not in a hurry, don't mind waiting for a good deal. My only concern with the Peavey would be weight. I don't know much about the different models, but my Fury is much heavier than my Fender Jazz. I don't know if I could deal with anything much heavier, which I would assume a 5 string Peavey would be. Thanks!
  5. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

The weight seems to vary, my Fury weighs less than my Jazz.

Out of the ones you've mentioned, I like the Schecter.
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

+1 I have bought and sold on the TB classifieds and there are some amazing deals there.