1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help: SR300 noise/crackling

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MethodsofDance, Nov 19, 2013.

1. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Hello

I'm aware this is a subject that's been covered in some detail before, but there are a couple of areas in which my problem is a little different.

Recently, my fretless SR300 began making strange crackling/distortion sounds when playing a note. It isn't constant, indeed it seems to come out of nowhere when it feels like it. It only occurs when the pickup pan knob is at dead center or towards the bridge pickup, somehow the neck pickup doesn't do it. I've had the bass just under a year and it only started doing it a few weeks/ month or 2 ago, I don't recall it doing this before then.

I put a new battery in just a few days ago so I know it isn't that, like I thought initially. I've tried 2 different cables to no effect. I don't currently own an amp, I'm playing through a little crappy (but functional) Behringer mixer into my PC, but I don't think that's the problem either. I did open up the back of the bass and aside from thinking "I have no idea about any of this" it didn't look to be badly wired though I could be wrong.

This is starting to become quite annoying, any help would be greatly appreciated:bassist::bassist::bassist:
  2. Alexio58

Alexio58

I had an SR300 and after 3 years the electronics started to crack, I solved the problem by oiling the pots, but it came comming up.
    In such cases the electronics simply lack quality.
    From your story I believe it's either the bridge pickup, which I hope not, or the pan pot.
    try oil the pot with silicone spray or similar. If that doesn't help I fear you'll have to replace the pickup and or the pot. Again the quality lacks so if you can fix this, beware that in time other isseus can come up...
    I sold mine anyway, partly due to these problems.
  3. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Replace the pickup? God I hope not, thats far too much maintenance for a cheap bass like this...(yet I still see myself resorting to that somehow, lol), I'll have a go at cleaning the pots soon, just need some of that contact cleaner.
  4. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

As an aside, I think I just heard it do it on the neck pickup as well, and both vol. and pickup pan were crackling as I was turning it, hopefully its a simple case of cleaning the pots then...
  5. The Celestials

The Celestials

I bought my first bass a few months back, and I was looking at this one. Either all the one's GC had were either setup terribly or had electronics issues :rollno:

I normally have great luck with Ibanez, so I am guessing it was just floor models that had been sitting around since the Jurassic Period.

I'd say that if you have any electronics experience, pop your head back there and see if there is any bad soldering or loose connections. Otherwise, bring it out to a tech.
  6. Alexio58

Alexio58

Cleaning the pots helps against the buzz, but it can be that the buzz will return...
    If it cracks louder as you turn the pots it is defenitely the pots, the pickup buzz might dissapear as well.
  7. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Well its in the shop, no bass for up to 2 weeks, and I'll be surprised if its an easy/inexpensive fix ...