Help... The rick is pissing me off haha

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Presto2112, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Presto2112

Presto2112

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 Jetglo Rickenbacker 4003, I love it but lately it's been really a pain. I hate stringing it, either it's harder or I'm just stupid haha, I've had a steinberger for the longest time and suck at changing strings the normal way with cutters, with jazz basses it's easier but with ricks it's just difficult, also, the nut keeps coming out when I change them... after I glued it back in after a past string change, it's currently being glued again but any advice, I'm leaning towards the "Geddy Lee all fender" way

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Levy's Leathers
    Um.. use better glue on the nut?
    But, it's kind of a chore that comes with the basses. Some are easy, some are a pain.

If you feel like the Geddy, do your thing man.

3. Presto2112

Presto2112

I'm one of those people who feel like they'll waste a pair of strings during a string change because the risk of messing up so haha

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

the only way i could see the nut coming off while restringing is if you're removing all the strings and putting the news string on one by one. try restringing one at a time (pull off the old one, put on the new one).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Presto2112

Presto2112

I do one at a time, E-G. It's wrapping the string once around the peg that's difficult for me I don't kow why

7. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

Wish I could show you how to do it....it really is easy. I have a few Rics and find them no harder to string than any other bass. They just have much smaller posts like lots of basses these days and cannot take as much "extra string" around the post. I measure the distance between the string posts, like between the E and the A and I double that distance and cut the string at that length on most basses but with a Ric I use a little less because the posts are smaller and you cant wrap as much string around them,.... so on a Ric I cut it at like 1 and a half the distance from the posts.....make sense? I really wish I had a Geddy to trade you....

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

to get the same amount of wraps (or close) i'll hold the new string next to the old one and cut it to the same length. essentially using the old string as a guide. been doing this for a number of years now.

9. Presto2112

Presto2112

That's what I did this time, but it was getting it into the tuning peg, it wrapped around the peg but the top isn't all the way in... it's really hard to explain but it's playable but I'm worried it will break like when I didn't get enough wraps on my fretless with funkmasters

10. Presto2112

Presto2112

I'd trade it for A black and a Red Flame maple top Geddy :D hahaha I'd regret it though like everyone does when they let a Rick leave.

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

if you've got a camera, a pic would help.

12. Presto2112

Presto2112

13. Presto2112

Presto2112

I had to take the strings off, too much tension to leave the nut on while glueing it back together, if it still messes up I'll post one.

14. blipndub

blipndub Supporting Member

that's a great vid, seen it a few times and always enjoy listening to him

15. Presto2112

Presto2112

If I could do any one thing, it would be spending the day with him, talking about bass stuff, jamming etc

16. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

How bout for a 2000 sunburst Am Standard Jazz. Afterall, Geddy didn't play a Geddy, he played an American Fender Jazz bass. OK, so it's not a seventies and no block binding but it plays great and man is it EASY to string!;)

17. Presto2112

Presto2112

if I were to trade it it would be a 2 for 1 deal :D or 1 $1800 or over bass :D

18. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

19. Presto2112

Presto2112

I totally forgot about that... Oh well. Apparently it's just me being stupid and stuff haha.

20. Presto2112

Presto2112

anyone interesting in a new Mark King ashdown 500? I want an orange because of Geddy now...

21. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

I cut mine double the length to the next tuner
    Push the end down the hole in the center till it hits bottom and wind away with the turns going down the post.
    Hope that makes sense