Help to Identify Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols) Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by riot100, Mar 3, 2014.

1. riot100

riot100

Hello,
    I am at present researching and collecting information regarding the Guitars and Amplifiers that the "Sex Pistols" used between 1975 and 1978.

Glen Matlock played a Fender Bassman in 1975/76.

"Am I correct that it is a Bassman 100 (model from 1972–1977), Silverface piggyback head and cabinet of four 10" or 12" or 15" speakers?".

Video: at 1min and 1.30min

Any help in identifying (Year, Model, etc) this Bass Amp & "Cabinet" would be most appreciated.

All the best.
  2. Michedelic

Michedelic

What Glen is doing in that last photo is what I'd do if I had that cab! Seriously, it was another of Fender's "what were they thinking" moments. A 4x12" bass speaker that had a baffle constructed of pie-slice shaped sections that angled in, so that the throw of each 12" would converge in the center to form, I guess, some sort of concentrated sound wave. Unfortunately, the seams of these baffle sections would always come unglued(I knew a guy that had one)and separate/fall apart.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic

4. Michedelic

Michedelic

Sid, of course, 'played' through an Acoustic 370 rig and an Ampeg SVT; Steve Jones had a Silverface Twin Reverb with a pair of Gauss speakers.
  5. riot100

riot100

Hi Michedelic,
    Many thanks for your prompt reply and info - great!

All the best.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Where I live I am not allowed to view the video.
  7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I think the arrangement of the speakers was an attempt at minimizing comb filtering both vertically and horizontally. It is sometimes recommended that when you have two cabinets standing next to each other (and you can't stack them into a column) you should angle them into each other for the same purpose.

That's just a WAG though.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Paul, you can get around local restrictions with the following trick. Click on the video:

Pick a format and it will download to your desktop.
  9. ngh

ngh

looks like a bassman 135 with matching 4X12 cab
  10. cricman

cricman

Based on the knob configuration, it is indeed a Bassman 100. It has a 3-4-1 knob configuration. The 135 is a 4-4-1 configuration. The Bassman and Bassman 50 are 3-3, and the Bassman 70 has a 3-3-1 configuration. I would also rule out Showman or Bandmaster heads for the same reason.

As for the cabinet,....I would agree that he is playing through a 4x12 cabinet.

cricman
  11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Pyramid cab thing was bad implentation of a sort of good idea via missing the point. The upward facing and inward facing ones are win for dispersion, the down firing one spoiled it all, and the spreading them out loads made it totally impractical.
  12. riot100

riot100

Many thanks for all your replies - much appreciated.

All the best.