1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help to identify Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols) Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by riot100, Mar 3, 2014.

1. riot100

riot100

Mar 3, 2014
    Hello,
    I am at present researching and collecting information regarding the Guitars and Amplifiers that the "Sex Pistols" used between 1975 and 1978.
    Glen Matlock played a Fender Precision Bass in 1975/76.

I'm seeking advice and information (Colour, year, pickups, etc) of this particular guitar.

"Am I correct that it is natural ash body, 1-piece maple neck/fretboard and a 4-ply tortoise shell (Brown) pickguard".

Video: First 30 secs

Any help in identifying this Bass would be most appreciated.

All the best.

2. Why not just ask Glen directly? He's seems cool, approachable and ubiquitous.

https://twitter.com/GlenMatlock

Love the vintage Pistols shots! Legendary band.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. riot100

riot100

Mar 3, 2014
    Hey thanks for the reply 'Jah Wobble Fan', worth a try.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That doesn't look like an ash body. Ash would have a more prominent grain. It's probably an alder body that was originally painted a solid color when it left the factory.

6. if only you posted this yesterday, i saw him do an acoustic performance last night with Syl Sylvain form the new york dolls, i could have asked him

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Looks like a strip-finished alder body to me.

8. riot100

riot100

Mar 3, 2014
    Many thanks for all your replies - much appreciated.

I've also been told it may be originally sunburst and the body was stripped to natural, that was a trend back then.

All the best.

9. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003