Help to identify this Ibanez bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twang234, Jun 24, 2013.

1. twang234

Jun 24, 2013
    I noticed this Ibanez bass on a web site for buying and selling various items, the seller didn't know a lot about it and before I could make him an offer for it was already sold... (bundled with a 70's Marlboro G-50R combo guitar amp, which he had used with the bass apparently).

As I couldn't find any information of similar basses even from the old Ibanez brochures and catalogs, I assume it's a pretty early model or a some sort of hybrid of different parts. As you probably notice, the pick guard seems to be (self-?) made of plywood and the pots are also of generic brand, which makes it difficult to date.

But I think it looks awesome as it is! Even the far-from-standard headstock suits the overall style. Any information what model the bass could be or it's parts derive from? I only have these two pics.

2. GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    That has to be the oldest surviving bass they ever made. I'll guess very early '70s. It has to be worth at least $300.
  3. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    the knobs and pickguard are unoriginal, BTW. Maybe the pickups, too.
  4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The pickups don't look original either. Those knobs look like they're from an amp. From the headstock and logo I'd say it's a late '60s Ibanez.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Franken-bez! Does have some mojo though!
  7. Nerevar

Jun 10, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    What a beauty. Love the headstock design
  8. What a bridge! Hope it was intonated at the factory...
  9. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Gosh, that's ugly! :eek:

That reminds me of the Japanese instruments sold in drugstores in 1964.

Pickguard looks like it was made from a linoleum floor tile. Maybe it was.

My intuition says this won't be a viable player.
  10. smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Late 60's Ibanez. The pickups are original. The knobs and guard are definitely not. I'm almost sure it has been refinished. This isn't a great bass. Made by Ibanez years before they became a high quality brand. I wouldn't lose any sleep over missing this one.