1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help troubleshoot EMG BQC Installation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Timatora, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Timatora

Timatora

Greetings all

This is my first post but don't let that put you off. I intend to stay it just happens to be a problem that's led me here :)

I have just installed an EMG BQC HZ preamp into my 6 string with its stock passive pickups.

Plug in an I get sound. Volume works fine but my blend is only picking up 1 half as it basically acting just the volume pot is.

Any ideas?
    Im not a total notice with soldering but certainly no expert.

Any help is very appreciated!

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Seems like only 1 pickup is connecting-
    turn that one up (with blend pot), then lightly tap on pickup tops with a small screwdriver or something metal to find which one is working.
    Then double-check connections on the other one.

3. Timatora

Timatora

Did that and got nothing from that pickup. I actually have a spare pickup for it so I swapped them and its doing the same thing so its not the pickup.
    I think its the blend pot... Because its the passive system I have to do a spot of soldering on the back but I cant see anything bad with it.
    This is exceptionally lame for me as I am in UK and had to buy this from USA so the store might be dicks about sending a replacement... Plus id much rather figure this one out if its possible.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming :)

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Something you probably already did, but re-check the blend pot wiring, including the criss-cross hot and ground diagram.
    Also, some don't ground the blend pot housing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Timatora

Timatora

Well there is no crackling or anything to make me think bad connection plus its a solderless system so its only the Hot and Ground cables from the pickup that need soldering. Iv tried 2 diff pickups and even soldered directly to the "solderless" connectors and all give the same result.

How could I check that it is grounded properly? wonder if its grounded itself out somehow?

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Yeah, maybe part of the blend pot grounded...
    Check the tabs on the blend pot- something could've grounded,
    altho, I'm not sure how, now that you mentioned it is solderless.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Is this an old soldered preamp or one with quick connectors? If quick connectors, my advice is to go back and recheck every little thing no matter how right you think you have it, and especially check the connection where the plug needs to be flipped the opposite way. If soldered, I can't help you as I don't know diddley about that.

9. Timatora

Timatora

Yeah I went back and started over and still have the same result. I have bought a non-solderless emg blend pot from ebay so hopefully that will sort it. My only concern is that this new pot is not active and the blend from the BQC system is. But I've read blends dont really matter being active or passive as long as they are 25k or 50k...right?

This one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190652288501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The 25k blend pot you linked to is what comes with the BQC, so you should be good to go once you hook it up.

11. Timatora

Timatora

Certainly hope so! I have ordered one so we will see when it arrives. That' be at least 2 week though which is lame.

The only thing that concerns me is that the B125 blend pot from the BQC HZ system is apparently 200k not 25k as its for passive pups not active.
    Im not going to burn out my pickups am I??

Sorry for being such a noob. Haven't done any electrical mods in so many years I have pretty much forgotten everything :(

12. Timatora

Timatora

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hoo boy! Totally missed that you're using a BQC-HZ. Sorry, dude. OK, I'm officially out of my league now ;) Maybe you could call or email EMG. Their CS is really good.

14. Timatora

Timatora

Haha fair enough! I will send them an email

15. Timatora

Timatora

16. Timatora

Timatora

The new replacement pot ( EMG ABC / B125 to be exact) is in and all is working as it should! Just had a bad blend pot. Just in case anyone has this problem in the future :)

17. JustForSport

JustForSport

Thanks for the update-
    thoughtful contribution for the rest of us.