HELP! USB midi controller in Pro Tool 8!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IconBasser, Jun 10, 2010.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser

I just bought an AKAI LPK25 (a cheap usb midi controller keyboard), and I have no idea how to set this thing up and record stuff with it in pro tools. the software for the device is installed and Windows recognizes it, so that's not a problem.

if somebody could please instruct me, I would be eternally grateful. Please relay information to me as you would an idiot, because when it comes to Pro Tools, I am.

2. wideyes

wideyes Supporting Member

If the keyboard has a midi out jack, I would recommend plugging it into your ProTools hardware interface midi in jack with a midi cable. If you do it this way, don't plug it in via USB. Then you can look in your ProTools options for making sure it's receiving the midi properly. Sometimes a keyboard's own USB and software settings won't play very nicely with ProTools (and ProTools doesn't like to play nice with ANYONE :bag:). Worked for me!

3. IconBasser

IconBasser

problem: my keyboard does not have a midi out jack, nor does my MBox 2 Mini have a midi in jack.

4. wideyes

Ah.

I would go through the keyboard software and make sure its setting look "sharing friendly", as in make sure it's making itself available to other software on the pc. Then, I would dig deep into the ProTools option menu to find you midi settings. You may need to enable your controller under PT in order to use it. Then, even if you've done that, you may need to ensure that it is selected as the input when loading up your virtual instrument. Did I mention PT is not very midi friendly?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IconBasser

IconBasser

mmkay, scratch that. Windows does not seem to be recognizing it. When I configure the software through the program it came with, it asks me to select the USB device with which to work. The PDF manual says I should select "LPK25" in the drop-down menu, but when I click the drop-down menu, the only two thing that I see are Microsoft Synthesizer and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (I have no clue what either of them are). Has anybody else ever had this problem with any of their midi keyboards? Is this a sound card problem? Please help, I'm confused as all hell right now.

7. Charling

Charling

Those options are for your OUTPUT midi device, as in the machine that windows uses as the sound-set for midi tracks to play back with. Its isn't related to midi INPUT signals, unless you use a program to get your midi keyboard to send its midi signals direct to the windows midi output device.

The name you mention should be selectable in whatever program came with it to name it as the 'default' usb-midi input device, but in truth its NORMALLY something that happens automatically.

You need to setup an instrument track in pro tools, put a plug in on it and play and see if it responds. Failing that just make a pro tools midi track and play and see if the vu meter bar flickers when you play, if so then it is receiving midi ok. Most usb keyboards just work, as long as you have setup the channel for them to work in in your software. If it doesnt then you need to look at the pro tools midi input devices.

As far as I know, its been a while since I used a pc, Windows doesn't have a pref-pane where you can configure mii input devices, it just happens or needs to be set in the software itself. Actually, I'm sure windows DOES have something that allows you to configure it somewhere, but in my years of setting up studios for people I've never had to go further than the program itself, after installing drivers!

8. IconBasser

IconBasser

unfortunately, it's not selectable in the program. Here, I'll post a screenshot of what's going on:

[​IMG]

tried it, I get nothing.

perhaps I've received a defective unit?

9. wideyes

Mmmm.... well, lessee, did you install the latest drivers? Are the drivers compatible with your version of Windows and its service pack? (this can often be the stumbling block!) Did you install the drivers before plugging in the keyboard (or as per the installation instructions that came with it?) If you feel confident all of that was done correctly, when you plug in the keyboard, does anything pop up onscreen? If it doesn't that may be ok, and if you had a defective unit/bad driver you might have gotten an error message, which it sounds like you haven't. Usually devices have colored LEDs that might indicate what the status of the unit is after plugging in... see if yours does, and if it does, check the status. If it looks good so far, check if you're plugging into a USB hub... that could cause a problem. Just throwing out ideas here.

10. IconBasser

IconBasser

hm... well, when I plug it in, I can push the buttons and get them to light up, so I know it's at least getting power. This unit doesn't actually have drivers, just the software program, which doesn't seem to be working properly (see my above post).

11. notdavey

notdavey

The USB is powering the keyboard, hence the lights. Are you getting any sound through your PC from the MIDI controller?

12. IconBasser

IconBasser

13. IconBasser

IconBasser

well, I plugged the LPK25 into another PC, and windows searched for the drivers and found them, stating that this device runs on generic usb midi drivers. This information coupled with the fact that this is supposed to be a "plug and play" device indicates that my notebook (with which I record) simply has a faulty set of drivers on it. I shall reinstall them and see if that solves the predicament.

14. wideyes

Maybe try all of your USB ports? Some can be really finicky...

15. IconBasser

IconBasser

tried it, no dice. Still trying to find the correct driver.

16. wideyes

17. IconBasser

IconBasser

well, I got an email back from Akai support, and they sent me the correct usb drivers and told me how to install them. the device now works perfectly.

I'd like to attach them here in case anybody in the future has the same problem but uh.... I don't know how :confused: anyone care to enlighten me?

by the way, thanks for the help everyone.

18. wideyes

Wow, support FTW! Now why don't they have them freely available for download on their site, hmmm?

19. IconBasser

IconBasser