1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help! - Very loud booming sound while playing the A note on higher frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by anandogs, Feb 2, 2013.

1. anandogs

anandogs

Hey, I get this very loud sound on the 19th fret of the D string and 24th fret of the A string.

The sound has a lot of treble and rings much louder than any surrounding notes on any strings.

Not sure if it has to do with my EQ settings or whether it is a hardware defect. Any one else has a similar problem / have a solution?

2. anandogs

anandogs

I have an Ibanez SR300

3. GigJones

GigJones

Does it happen when you fret an A on the E string (5th fret) too?

What amp head and speaker cabinet are you using?

Does this happen regardless of the room you’re playing in?

4. anandogs

anandogs

Thanks for replying - it doesnt happen on the 5th fret of the e string. Also noticed that it happens on 18th fret of D string and 23rd fret of A string.. if i go a fret down on either string, the sound instantly becomes a lot "thinner" so to speak.. Also ringing reduces when i decrease the volume.

I am using a Laney RB1 Combo Amp, just picked up the guitar so have played it only in one room till now..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. topo morto

topo morto

Post a video clip.

7. anandogs

anandogs

I'll post a sound clip tomorrow..

8. Baer

Baer

Probably room resonance. Move it to larger room, preferably with a higher ceiling to confirm.

9. tabdog

tabdog

Maybe the pickup is too close to the strings,

Tabdog

10. anandogs

anandogs

I recorded a small clip. Not sure if its possible to make out in the clip though: http://soundcloud.com/anando-ghose/sounds-from-sunday-afternoon/s-danIw

And yes that's the word - it resonates differently than the surrounding notes - it seems to ring out more. Now the A isn't making as much of a sound as the Ab.

I moved it to my drawing room. Sounds the same. The ceiling is the same height though - could that be the problem?

11. anandogs

anandogs

12. topo morto

topo morto

Could be room resonance to my ears. That room sounds quite empty...? which would accentuate the problem...

How is it when you listen through headphones?

13. Baer

Baer

Same ceiling height could be a source of the same resonance. If you don't have a significantly different room (all dimensions) take it outside. It will only take a minute to determine if that's the problem.

14. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Does your amp have a headphone jack?

15. anandogs

anandogs

Hi great thanks for the help. I took my amp to my terrace and the resonance improved a great deal (the wire length of amp my didn't allow me to take it all the way out)
    I have a head phone input, however I don't have a head phone jack that fits into it.
    Thank you for your help. Can you suggest ways in which I can reduce this resonance without changing my location or decreasing the volume? Has anybody else also experienced this?

16. Troph

Troph

Almost every room has several resonance frequencies where standing wave effects will boost the "normal" output SPL. Some rooms are worse than others, especially if there are fewer materials in the room to absorb sound waves.

This is very common when you're playing in small, enclosed spaces which aren't designed for good acoustics.

17. topo morto

topo morto

You can get an adaptor very cheaply - might be worth it if the room resonance really bothers you.

Are you doing any recording in this room? If not, the simple thing is - don't worry about it. If so, then you can look into acoustic treatments, but they're not cheap.

I observed earlier that the room sounded quite empty - is this true? If so it will make things a lot worse.

18. anandogs

anandogs

Thanks for replying. No I am not recording and it doesn't bother me that much really. I was concerned that it might have been an electric / hardware problem. The room is not empty but yeah it can be "fuller" and I get how that will improve the resonance (kind of like an echo right?). Thank you for your help.

19. anandogs

anandogs

Yes I think that is the cause of the problem exactly!

20. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You can pick up a parametric equalizer and solve your problem this way as well.

Select a "narrow" setting and boost your midrange knob all the way up, then turn the midrange frequency selector knob until you pinpoint the exact range that is causing the problem (you'll hear it right away...the note will become infinitely harsher). Once you've found the frequency, then use your boost/cut knob to turn it down instead of up. Solved.

Lonnybass

21. anandogs

anandogs

Do I have to buy the eq? How much do they cost?