1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

help vets of the sterling sub

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Jan 30, 2014.

1. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Okay, I'm gassing for a local (well, a round trip from the crawfish fields within 3 hours) used bass: the Sterling by Music Man Sub Ray4. The black one with the maple fret board! He's asking one hundred and fifty american dollars!
    I would go let my ears be the judge, but it's a 3 hour tour and I'm poor (there! I said it).
    I've done my searches and haven't really got a good sense of the tonal characteristics of this bass. If any one out there has opinions after owning or playing/testing out the Subs, please respond. I'm looking for a classic p bass type 4 string but also play heavy metal.

thanks,
    fnord!
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

that's a pretty good price for it. However, that's a pretty long way to go for one.
    Here's a link to a person comparing the Sterling Sub Ray4 to a regular Musicman Stingray.

Great bass in my opinion, very good quality and lots of deep end sound- it's an active bass too with the 2band EQ.

If you're looking for a classic p bass type, you can also perhaps get a used squier p-bass for that price and still have it shipped to your door. No travel required.
  3. fnordlyone

Thanks for the response, max. I have put the ol' ear hole on the Squier fenders and do not like them. Maybe it is all in the electronics, but… Love the sound of only the American P's, even the Mexican mades were such a drop off (wood or electronics, or hardware-- I don't know). Love the sound of the MM Stingray and hope the Sub at that price is close:cool:

I know people who know people who could save me the drive, if I pull the string on the bass. I hesitate to buy without playing it myself, though.

Advice?
    f n o r d !
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Its going to be pretty far from a P type tone but its still going to be a solid bass.
  5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Between the SUB and the P bass you've described 2 of my favorite tones. I like em both for rock & roll and metal.
  6. fnordlyone

thanks for the feedback
    of course you are stoking the fire :hyper:
    I do have another question: I notice how much closer the pickup is to the bridge on the sub; does that match the classic stings and gls? How does it affect tone?
    thanks again, my friends,
    f n o r d !
  7. fnordlyone

BTW, Max, the link made me think I should pull the trigger. :)
  8. Webtroll

The P and MM pickups would overlap very slightly. I've considered putting a P pickup in my SUB Sterling to have both sounds in one bass. I don't know if they'd work well together, and the P pickup would be slightly forward of it's traditional position. If I could only have one it would likely be the P bass; it'd be less of a unique sound, but it would work with anything I wanted to do with it easier.

Between the sweet SUBs and the cheap Squiers getting better all the time you could get 2 solid gig worthy basses for pretty damned cheap.
  9. spaz21387

spaz21387

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

I actually tried a few MM Stingrays at my local GC and compared it side by side with the Sub. What was the kicker for me was that there was little difference imo in terms of the sound- definitely not worth the over $1000 price difference. One thing to point out is that the standard MM has a 3 band EQ and they also have some that are 2, the Sub has a 2 band EQ. Also, the neck on the Sterling Sub is a little bit slimmer.
    The overall quality and workmanship on my bass was incredible given the price, I'm used to having a drop off in quality relative to the price of the bass- the bass was set up just right, nice low action and feels really comfortable. I went to GC with a little over $600 to spend on a bass, was surprised that the best bass for me at that price range was one that was less than half my budget. That being the Sterling Sub.
    Evidently, my local GC seems to be selling these Sub Rays like there's no tomorrow with some finishes being sold out- mine had to be shipped from the Tennessee Guitar Center as they were the closest one to have my preferred color in stock (Mint Green). I live in Michigan. lol.

In terms of the price you're getting your bass- it's a great price as long as the bass is in good working condition because GC when they do have them available used (they tend to disappear quickly) sells them for $199.99. Factor in shipping, you're looking at about $220-230. So $150 is very inexpensive.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Webtroll, how about this? Samick has a clone with both pickups on it.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SAMICK-BASS-RED-624-01082013-108617264-i2930185.gc

Attached Files:

12. fnordlyone

Me Likey! Can I ask what you were playing thru? DI, etc.?

fnord!
  13. spaz21387

spaz21387

I was playing through a hartke lh500 di out of the amp into the interface. the interface is a tascam 1800 and we record with ableton. I still feel like I stole my sub ray 4 when I got it new for 250 when guitar center had a sale.
  14. johnson79

johnson79

I played a Sub at GC and didn't care for it. May have been just a crappy setup, but it sounded terrible. I love The Sting Ray sound, so I'm thinking that one was a dud. $150 is a good price however, and they seem to have plenty of fans.

The only thing that I recall was the early ones had really hot preamps and may need a repair. Check the threads.
  15. Webtroll

16. Qlanq

Qlanq

I got a SUB, black and maple. Loved the hot pre-amp but took the foam and springs out from under the pick up and now get a really nice MM sound out of it if I want it. I usually have my bass to have Ric-type sound so they are pretty versatile. My Geddy doesn't get played much anymore, prefer the SUB.
  17. Webtroll

Removing the foam from under the pickups and leaving the electronics as is have that big of an impact on the tone?
  18. Qlanq

Qlanq

Yes. The top 3 strings are totally clean-sounding while the E still has a tiny bit of grit to it (which I like).
    Very pleased with the result-took about 10 minutes to do.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

hmmm....might try that sometime soon. Happy with the sound as is, but sounds really interesting.