Help: Vox Clubman replacement neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gnarlyopossum, Dec 1, 2012.

1. gnarlyopossum

gnarlyopossum

I think this is the right place to ask this question. I have a Vox Clubman Bass and is in need of a new neck. The original neck does not have a truss rod, just 2 steel rods that have not done much to keep the neck straight. That, in conjunction with a run in with a parrot [not sure on the specifics, just that it took a nice piece out of the headstock], makes me want to replace the neck. I admit, that would be easy enough to get without posting it on here. My odd request is that I'd love to get a full-scale neck for it. The sound is fantastic and I would love to play it in this rock/blues trio I play in. If you know where I could procure one of these, please let me know! Thanks!

2. grisezd

grisezd

Is that a bolt on? If so thats half the battle. Still, that's going to be custom work. The bridge will likely need to be moved (may not be enough room), then the pickups may not be in a place that suits you. I've done this sort of thing for myself with mixed results. Good luck with it however you go with it.

3. gnarlyopossum

gnarlyopossum

Yeah. It's a bolt-on. If I need to do any altering of the pickups, I probably won't attempt a short to full-scale conversion. Essentially, I was just wondering if it would be possible to replace the neck and keep the body the same.

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    What you're asking for is a custom neck. Not a big problem technically, but it isn't going to be cheap. I'm not interested in the job myself, but for reference, I would charge you about $750 for it. That's complete, fretted, clear coated and ready to bolt on. That's about what most luthiers will charge. It's about 16 hours labor.

Yes, a custom neck can be made up to convert the bass to a longer scale length, without any modifications to body, bridge, or pickups. The neck ends up being a little longer than normal, like 22 frets. The pickups end up being somewhat closer to the bridge, in relation to the scale length, than they were. But, they'll still work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gnarlyopossum

gnarlyopossum

Thanks, Bruce! That's good information to have! I hesitate to spend that much, as the bass isn't exactly in mint condition anyway and I'd hate to custom order a neck for a bar bass that may or may not last for very long. I guess maybe I'll be buying a short scale and "dealing with it". Haha! It's super fun to play and has a lot of character. Unfortunately, part of that character keeps the tuning from staying true up the neck.

7. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Personally I wouldn't bother... these basses are not valuable enough (at least here in the UK) to warrant a custom built neck. You could buy a complete Clubman for £250 tops here.

They are great players though (much better than the similar bassmaster which just has a too thin neck for me)

I have a rather nice 1965 Vox Clubman here http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/vox/bass/Clubman.php that I even use in the studio occasionally.

Another option might be to try one of the Italian Vox necks that come up (not 100% sure they fit mind you) - people seem to part out the Spitfire/Hurrican models fairly often - and at least you get an adjustable truss rod with them