1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help w/ New Small Rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by soundfan75, Dec 30, 2012.

1. soundfan75

soundfan75

Similar thread, I am looking for a 112, Class D rig.

My basses: Fender '62 Jazz Reissue, Smith BSR-B 5

My style: Rock (mostly 90's to current), jazz (standards), pop. Mostly fingerstyle and pick. I do not slap unless it is absolutely required.

I am looking for a high quality, versatile sounding, compact rig. Not playing out much right now, and space is tight. Not concerned as much with budget as much as quality.

I just liquidated a Gallien Krueger 700RB/210 combo and 115RBH cab. My first good amp. I have to say, that I struggled w/ this EQ for a long time, I think wanting an instantly deeper sound (read Ampeg), but did come to appreciate where it sat in a band setting.

So far my list looks like this:

1. Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 w/ DB112/GS112/Berg HD112
    2. Mesa Walkabout Scout 112
    3. TC Electronic RH450/RS212
    4. Genz Benz Shuttle or Streamliner

The dillema is that I have not played or personally heard any of these brands except for the Mesa Walkabout, but I don't really want a combo. Opinions on what the most verstile of these amps is? And cab choices with the Tone Hammer?

I have a Hiwatt 200 that will be used with the cab as well.

2. jlepre

jlepre

I wish I had more experience with all of these. I have used a Shuttle 6.0, 3.0 and Streamliner 9. I would look at getting any of the Shuttle series that would work well with the 12.

Do you know what 12" cab you're looking to buy?

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would go with a streamliner 900 and a fEARless 112, or a fEARful 12/6.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

I recently got a deal on a barely used TH-500 and matching SL112 cab on Craigslist and have used them together and separately on a number of gigs here in NYC where I was relying on the subway and needed light weight and portability.

I am very impressed with the TH-500. It's a great little powerhouse, very light weight and can get close to vintage Ampeg tones with only a little fiddling.

The cab is also really nice, and also tends to lean toward a vintage-y flavor. Don't expect miracles in the volume department from a single, ultralight 12, though. It gets loud enough to compete with a drummer, but only barely.

A friend of mine has the Walkabout Scout and she gets really good tone - and volume - from that rig. More modern sounding than the Aggie stuff, but equally impressive.

I also use a 1x12 cab from Don at Low Down Sound. It's not neo, so it's fairly heavy, but that sucker is plenty loud. I've used it for rock gigs with no problems. It's also got a great, even tone. Just another avenue to investigate for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I'm a Mesa guy at heart but those Genz Streamliners have definitely caught my eye..

7. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I'd look at these cabs, especially the fearless, but also the audiokinesis thunderchild 12. For versatility the shuttlemax 9.2.