1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help! Wattage for 1976 SVT 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TTFBass, Jan 27, 2013.

1. TTFBass

TTFBass

Hey everyone!
    I have been google searching for weeks trying to find out what the wattage rating is for a 1976 Ampeg SVT 8x10 Cabinet. It has only one 4ohm 1/4" jack on the back.

I cannot find any useful information about this despite all of my google searching. I want to make sure that I will not blow out these speakers as they sound awesome. Right now I have a Peavey Delta Bass head running it and would like to move up to something better but not knowing what this cab can truly handle I am a little cautious.

Thanks for your help!

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Wattage ratings are useless they only describe the melting point of copper. If your cab is still sounding good at whatever power you find it works with, all good! if its farting on low notes and sounding pushed that's beyond it's wattage rating simple as.:bassist:

3. TTFBass

TTFBass

Right, but I don't want to drop the money on a better head unit just to have it be too much for the cab and at a minimum be a waste of said money at the worst, blow the cab and speakers.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Then the cabinet rating is 300 tube watts RMS max.
    Or I would choose an amp of any power you like the sound of with the cabinet and be careful of your levels based on what it sounds like.:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TTFBass

TTFBass

Thanks!

7. Ifriff

Ifriff

I was checking out an old SVT 810 flatback to use with my fender bassman 300. Had the same concerns. If I remember correctly from my research, them old original SVT 810s are rated at 240 watts. I believe they're meant to be ran with another. So 2 810s. I did find another, but 2 of them costs to much and defeats my purpose. I only want to lug around one cab. Right now I'm using an older mesa boogie RR 410 with the mesa powerhouse 212. I like it a lot. I would just rather 1 cab. Like an 810 or 412

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

300 tube watts is quite capable of giving you a bad day if you don't pay attention to Bassmec's earlier posts.

9. ThisBass

ThisBass

Probably the 240 Watt rating belongs to the CTS speakers.

For a SVT cab made in 1976 the speakers should be the Eminence square back.
    These speakers come with a 2" voice coil and therefore the RMS rating should be greater then 50 Watt.
    But remember that no engineer can predict the amount of wattage exactly. Wattage ratings is all the time based on a modelilng. That's very similar like a weather forecast (modelling).

10. Ifriff

Ifriff

Oh! So do you think it would be ok to use the old square backs with a fender bassman 300? Would it be ok to really crank it? Or would I be pushing it to hard?

11. ThisBass

ThisBass

The wattage of my 78s SVT measures appro 360 Watt when power is gained to the edge of clipping.
    But this wattage is measured with a sine wave. At real live with a bass guitar signal the RMS is appro 1/2 or less.
    But be sure that transients are at full power/voltage most of the time.
    But transients aren't RMS and RMS isn't transients.

Many years ago I used a 212 cab rated to 250 Watt, and sometimes I used a 410 cab which was rated to 240 Watt.

Yeah it's possible to discuss a very lot on amp wattage and cab wattage, but it's most of the time likewise comparing apples and oranges, so what.

The SVT 810 cab is a sealed cab, that means the actual power handling is probably significant different to same RMS watt rating of vented cabs.

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Changing brand of 300w isn't a cure for stupid.

13. ThisBass

ThisBass

Nobody knows what happens to vintage speakers when a amp is turned to full stroke all along the line.

Considering general using with some random audible clipping I don't see any reasons to debate on principles.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well; the SVT head was rated at 300 watts.
    So, in lieu of any other info, I'd say the cab would be, more or less, good for that.

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Depends on your definition of "more or less" and "good for". OP seems to want to be told to crank those watts with no fear. Not going to happen!

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  17. Alex1984

Alex1984

I would be conservative and say 240W. But JimmyM has pushed his flatback with slightly more and it supposedly took it fine. The SVT was supposed to be ran into 2 of these cabs, back in the days.

18. Ifriff

Ifriff

I would love to run two flat backs with my bassman 300! I've located two of them too! I just can't spend that kind of money right now. Darn.

My RR 410 with my powerhouse 212 sounds pretty damn good though. Any opinions on that combination?

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I've run mine pretty hard with my SVT as well. The speakers take it, but they don't like it all that much. They definitely get farty much earlier than a newer speaker would/does. I ended up loading mine with B810s recently. They aren't as soft in the high end as the stock speakers, but they also don't fart out on the lows and I don't have to worry about them blowing since I've only been using that cab for bigger, high-volume shows.