Help: Weird tuning issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nicktunz, Apr 4, 2014.

1. nicktunz

nicktunz

Disclosures:
    Fender, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Arc Effects, JHS, Ashdown
    So, this is odd and I'll probably get some people that hate what I am doing but I assure you, it's for a good reason.

In addition to a bunch of other bands, I play in a metal band that uses extended range guitars. Specifically, 8 stringers tuned to F#.

So, the riffs they mostly play have a huge open F# string presence. So, I need to have my bass tuned F# B E A D, etc.

I think tuning to an F# below a low B is ridiculous and inaudible. So, What I have been doing is the following:

Bass One: Low B, F#, B, E on a 4 string P Bass.
    The F# being an E string that I tune up a whole note, as well as the higher B tuned up from an A string, etc.
    You can think of it as Drop B tuning, if I was using C# tuning as a standard, I guess.

Bass Two: F#, B, E, A on a 4 string P bass. Same idea here. E string tuned up to an F#. It's basically normal strings on a four string, tuned up a whole step.

I know this is a little strange maybe, but it works pretty well for this band and it's tuning.

THE PROBLEM: My basses kinda play like ****.
    I am sure string gauge has something to do with it. I am using 45-95's. I think the B on the first bass is a 130? I forget.

So, do I need a bass with a longer scale? What gauge should I be using? Should I not be using Fenders? Would a Bass XI work? I'll listen to any piece of advice or opinion.

Thanks!

2. lz4005

lz4005

The tunings you're using sound like a reasonable way to approach that kind of music.

There's not enough detail to know what the problem is. What exactly do you not like about how your basses are currently set up? Are the strings too tight? Too floppy? Bad tone? Too much fret buzz?

3. nicktunz

nicktunz

Disclosures:
    Well on the one with the low B that low b is floppy and had very little definition. The rest of the strings are tight and the action is high. On the f# standard bass the tension is tight and tends to put a lot of stress on the neck. High action. That bass sounds good though.

It's really the only way I can play these songs. I have tried so many tunings

4. nicktunz

nicktunz

Disclosures:
    Fret buzz isn't too much of an issue

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Sounds like a heavier B and lighter other strings would solve your problem. Along with a good setup.