1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help! What is my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petegrinder, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Petegrinder

Petegrinder

Hi all,

Got a bit of a dilemma. My band are now getting to the "touring round the country" point and I desperately need a backup for my bass.

The only problem? I don't know what it is and so can't either find a replacement or one that is even anywhere near like it.

It's an Encore (no big budget here, folks) and it LOOKS like a standard Precision copy, but there's no scratch-plate and in addition to the standard "Precision pickup" (the one that looks like a Tetris block), there's another single-coil pickup approx 3cm away from the bridge. I use this pickup exclusively to get a really nice, sharp, treble-y sound.

All Precision-style basses I've found do not have this secondary pickup. In fact no Bass I've found at all has a single-coil pickup this close to the bridge. Can anyone tell me what model of Encore bass I have, or have any suggestions for a good back-up bass I can look into?

Cheers,

Pete

Attached Files:

2. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Disclosures:
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
  3. Petegrinder

Petegrinder

Thanks! They look just the ticket.
  4. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    sigged! :D
  5. ghostjs

ghostjs

Disclosures:
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    theres a million basses just like that... that configurayion is called P/J.
  6. Buslady7803

Buslady7803

my useless post

i second that, P & J pickups...precision body, jazzy neck.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's called a P/J configuration.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Possibly any Jazz style bass will get the tone you want since you use the bridge pickup. I'd try out at least one standard Jazz Bass. Noiseless pickups might help.

Good luck on the tour.