1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help! What pickups will fit this bass???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by claytonskinner, Jan 14, 2014.

1. claytonskinner

claytonskinner

Hi, I recently acquired an old univox hi flyer bass with all the original electronics, but one of the pickups is to broken. I want to replace it with one that will somewhat match the tone, but i don't know very much about pickup brands, and can't seem to find one that will fit the casing around the original pickup.

Looks just like this:

[​IMG]

The actual pick up is about 2.5" by 1.5", and the housing around it is 3.5" by 2".

Anybody have any suggestions of what would sound good in there?

2. claytonskinner

claytonskinner

3. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

Broken? In what way? Just doesn't work or in more than one piece? If just doesn't work check for a loose wire and check the resistance. If it is dead your best bet would be to have it rewound. That way you won't have to find one that will fit. Looks like there are three height adjustment screws. A pick up like that might be hard to find.

Tedward

4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Definitely this first. No sense in replacing it if you don't have to.

If it's truly a goner, you may want to check with Pete Biltoft at vintagevibeguitars.com. I'm sure he could fabricate you one that would both look and sound like the original (or even sound different, if you wanted it to). He does stuff like that all the time.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. claytonskinner

claytonskinner

Thanks for replying!

Yeah I was thinking a rewire might be the only method to restore it to it's former glory, but I'm not one hundred percent sure on how to check the resistance. I know there aren't any loose wires, and I've confirmed that the problem is with the pick up by opening it up and touching each part along the circuit with a screwdriver to check for noise coming out of my amp. I assume there's a tool I can buy that would make this easier?

Also, how much does a rewire usually cost from a place like vintage vibe? Would it be a better idea to see if there's a good music shop close to me and just bring the bass there?

Thanks again
    -Clay

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

You don't need to measure the original pickup, you can measure the other one and whoever rewinds it can take into account the placement

8. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Having a multimeter on hand lets you do all sorts of things, from checking to see if a pot is fried, to making sure that all the parts of your bass share a common ground. They're cheap, and a good investment.

There are a lot of points in the signal chain where you could have an interruption that would make the screwdriver test not work.

Depending on how the pickup is built, a rewire could be either pretty easy, or pretty frustrating. If the pickup itself checks out, getting new lead wire put on shouldn't break the bank, and can be done at a good repair shop. Because it's vintage, I'd ask to see some of their work beforehand to make sure that they know what they're doing, though. Lots of otherwise wonderful guitar techs and luthiers are really garbage at soldering.

Also, worst case scenario, I think Aria makes a repro of that bass, so you might be able to source a pup from one of those, if you're looking at something pricey like a rewind.

Good Luck!

9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Aria's bass shares the same body shape, but is set up like a traditional jazz bass. Which sucks.

It looks like Univox took their standard cream humbucker and made an 8 pole version... if you are lucky then people have already tried to source replacements and a standard PAF-style guitar pickup will fit.

Cream rails might keep some of the visual appearance alive. The problem is that a 16 kOhm pickup will probably sound horrible in a bass;

[​IMG]

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would definitely look at getting the pickup repaired before anything since you're looking for the same tone.

11. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

^ this. Spending a few bucks on a multimeter is a great investment. Learning how to use it in this kind of application does not take long. But if you're potentially looking at a re-wire of the guitar, or oven a pickup rewind, you need a competent tech. You don't want to learn all that on that guitar. Hardpuncher's advice is spot on.

If the pickup is a goner, you will need to either have it rewound or have a new one fabricated. Unless there is a skilled pickup winder in your area, you're going to need to ship it off somewhere to have the work done. You asked about cost. The only way to find out is to ask.