1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

help! what size knobs do i need for lager pot shaft?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by maskedman72, Feb 1, 2013.

1. maskedman72

maskedman72

hello, i just had new solid shaft pots put in my bass to replace the old split shaft pots i had and now my old knobs wont fit onto the new lager size shaft on the new pots.

i have been to all my local music stores and no one has knobs to fit these new pots. (they are cts pots.)

what is the shaft size on the larger pots?

what size hole do the knobs need to have to fit the larger pots?

thanks!

2. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

I had this problem myself a while ago. I don't know about your new pots specifically, but I think the problem is that some factories make them to imperial sizes and some to metric. (Generally if the pots were intended for a European supplier, they'll be metric, if US then imperial, but that's not necessarily true in every case.)

I believe most pot shafts are either 1/4" or 6 mm...so whichever you've just put in, I'd guess your old knobs were the other!

Edit: according to google, 1/4" = 6.35 mm. So I guess you must have had 6 mm pots in there originally, and you need a set of 1/4" knobs. Surprised to hear you're having trouble finding those stateside, I must say!

3. maskedman72

maskedman72

still cant find these in 1/4inch black w/abalone top and with set screw at all, not even on the net.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

A hand drill, a 1/4" drill bit, fifteen minutes, and you're all set.

5. Register to disable this ad