Help! Why do I need a G&L L2000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaycephas, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Hey folks,

I'm having a bit of G.A.S. - I have an opportunity to purchase a 1995 G&L L2000 Honeyburst in dead mint condition with original case. The price is $700-$750 and I could avoid shipping.

I currently have a MIM Pbass, a MIM Jbass, an SR5H, a Ray35, a DJ5 and a Sadowsky RV5. So the question is, what would the L2000 add to my stable of tones? It looks amazing and I'm sure a vintage '95 3-bolt will play beautifully, but is there any tone the L2000 brings that I'm missing from my current stable?

I really don't want to spend the money on another bass, but it is a beautiful bass in near-perfect condition, and I had a G&L years ago that has always stuck in my mind, although it was the much-maligned El Toro.

Thoughts?

2. groovaholic

groovaholic Looking for a band... Supporting Member

I've owned two L-2000's; my first was a 94-95 and I liked it a LOT, but I was young and impatient and traded it away.

A couple years later, I traded for an early '81 "B00" L-2000. The condition of the bass made me SERIOUSLY consider sending it back, but then I played it -- and it was my favorite neck EVER (I've authored threads about it).

From the list of basses you already have, it seems you are a fan of Leo Fender's designs. To me, the L-2000 was the distillation of everything Leo did and it's an incredible bass. I'd say "play it and see what you think".

Unless it's going to put undue stress on your finances or marriage, I don't see a reason NOT to buy it:
    If you love it, you'll have a GREAT bass.
    If you buy it and decide to sell later, you should be able to recoup all of your purchase price.

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

They're cool but too complex IMO. I'd spend all day flipping switches.

4. ux4484

ux4484

You need to ask yourself: "Why DON'T I need one?".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

You do not need one.

You're welcome.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

At that price you could play it for a week/month/year and if you don't like it or get bored with it, you could sell if and get 100% of your money back. Under those circumstances, why wouldn't you buy it?

8. Jaycephas

That! I just played them all, and while I know there are different flavors to choose from, what I have covers so much and with such tone, another bass would seem to be just that, another bass. Also, I'd have to find a spot on the wall to hang a new one, which I don't have.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Seems the G.A.S. has passed (for now). ;)

9. dalkowski

dalkowski

There's your answer.

10. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Love the concept and feel of these basses, but never can find a happy tone - GAS is most comprehensively addressed by playing the axe, but it looks like you already have a broad arsenal at your disposal.

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

not only did i spend 675 on my vintage L2K, i spent another 350 to get the neck refretted, ding filled, and replaned (i really love that bass)

sonically it does something i can't get from the sb-2, the flying v, or the jazz

12. lug

lug

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Need a spot on the wall? I'd get rid of all of these to own an L-2000. In a second.

14. Immigrant

Immigrant

It's might not ADD to your selection of tones, but it will cop them all easily and give you some you don't have.

Do it. Do it.

15. bassike

bassike

Nice.
    I never liked the look, till one day I saw one on the classifieds, and decided to get it to keep it in the office.
    the day I received it, I decided to plug it, just to see what did it sound like, and wow, became one of my main basses.
    some say complex, I'd say versatile.

16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

We call it, G.A.S. buster and you're welcome.:cool:

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Sell that MIM gear to pay for it. It will do the job of both and do it better. Easy.

18. cnltb

cnltb

19. fraublugher

fraublugher

20. ac11367

ac11367 Supporting Member

+1

L2K is like the swiss army knife of bass, allowing you the tonal options ranging from Precision-like to Jazz-like. The bass is strong in fundamentals, so you don't have to worry about being drowned out by the rest of your band.

I have a late 1990s or early 2000s L2K (with 6-bolt neck attacnmeht) which I don't know what to do with as the neck has a bow that won't go away, not even with the tightening in truss rod. It's still has very playable string action, and i dont want to spend money on a new neck ($650 with shipping as quoted by G&L). So I'm contemplating on whether to keep it or to sell it at a discount. Also, I like my G&L SB2 better. It's a floor shaker.

21. Jaycephas

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. In this instance, for me, the L2000 would've been an addition to my collection, not a replacement. I have spent a lot of time (and money) building my collection and modifying my basses to my specific tastes. I play/gig my 5-stringers primarily, with my P or J filling in for certain songs and occasions as needed. My P is my only passive bass, as my J has an Audere preamp that is excellent with several tonal options. The Ray35 and DJ5 give me a wide tonal pallet and get to go to my bar gigs, and the Sadowsky and SR5 get played mostly at church (no 'religious' reason for the difference; those two basses aren't being punished. I just nearly had a drunk guy knock over my RV5 at a bar gig, so that was that).

If I happen to have $$ burning a hole in my pocket, and a bass like this comes along, then I'll give it a try for sure. Leo certainly knew how to get it done.