Help with a Fender P bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by banditcosmo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Hey guys I have a Fender 32" P bass (Made in Japan) and I'm having problems with the pickups.
    This is my first P bass so forgive my stupidity but I can't the pu for the E and A string to straighten out (see pic) and I raised the the G and B pu a little bit as the G string was not as loud and now the pickup is really loose and rattles every time I hit it. How can I fix these issues ? Also is there a certain height these should be set to ?

Attached Files:

2. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

There is foam underneath these pickups (or there should be). It appears the foam has lost its "spring" and needs to be replaced.
  3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I fixed that problem with my bass by putting springs on the screws between the pickup and the wood. This only works if your pickup is glued to the covers, though.

Adding more foam underneath works too.
  4. Steveaux

Steveaux

+1

I prefer springs, when possible.

Dollar-store mouse pads make great p'up foam.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joelb79

joelb79

I had to use a lot of the Fender foam to get mine all nice and level but its worth it. Seems like every bass needs some pickup foam work from time to time.
  7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Yep, I had the same issue on my P bass. When I had some other work done on it, the guy also set that up for me by replacing the foam.
  8. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

I had some high density automotive foam with adhesive on one side, worked really well and won't deteriorate as fast as some other weatherstrip type foam. I also added springs, but I have a Squire II no pickguard
  9. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    +1 on the foam. Springs can make a pickup "act" as if it's microphonic. I had to replace the springs in my bass with foam. The bonus is that they wont move under your thumb either.
  10. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Thanks guys for your help ! I found some foam at work so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.