Help with a G&L needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basschanges, Jan 29, 2014.

1. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Hi TB community,

I bought a bass on a whim while I was traveling in Cleveland at the Sam Ash there. It is a white G&L M2000 tribute bass, picked it up used for 400 bucks. Turns out the bass has no serial number on it. The folks at Sam Ash say the lack of the serial number is due to the fact that the bass is a prototype for G&L.

I didn't care much at the time about the provenance because I never intended on selling the bass, and it plays great. However, I'm in a situation where I need to sell the bass now, and I'm having trouble determining what I have. Is this some rare prototype or did I buy some kind of frankenbass or what???

I need some help to legitimize what I have before I look like a complete ass in the used market.
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Pics would help a lot.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

...and I wouldn't necessarily believe the prototype BS.
  4. basschanges

got it. in the process of doing that now.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basschanges

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Looks good to me, the S/N thing was probably just a slip-up at the factory, so that would make the bass worth at least $1 more than if it had a S/N. ;)
  8. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Looks pretty sweet.

To me, the prototype story sounds completely legit. That IS a G&L Tribute, and G&L is known to sell their prototype instruments, so it's completely in the realm of possible that they sold off a few Tribute M2000 prototypes.
  9. GeorgeBerlin

GeorgeBerlin

Looks like a genuine Tribute to me, and G&L sells protos (plus employees can buy "left-overs" as well).

To find out if there is some special mojo you'd need to compare it to a stock model (from the same estimated time period, preferably) and look for subtle differences like material of bridge saddles etc, even neck profile could be different to what is used in production...
  10. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree for a couple of reasons. One is that somehow Sam Ash seems to acquire a lot of weird (and totally cool) stuff from God knows where and they sell it in their stores. I've seen quite a few odd-ball bass deals that they got somewhere.

And the Second is I just looked at my Tribute and your headstock is different with "tribute" in tiny letters and the rest of the printing looks VERY much like a USA G&L. On my Tribby, it has TRIBUTE on it in huge letters which leads me to think that this was a prototype based upon the USA model and then they decided that they didn't want the headstock lettering looking so much like the higher priced USA versions.

So Yeah, I find the prototype story believable and that really looks like a sweet Tribute! You should have no apologies in selling it.
  11. basschanges

Wow thanks guys! Sweet info. I'm really inexperienced with G&L but when I played this bass in the store I knew I had to have it.

I love this forum man...
  12. NWB

NWB

They use a much smaller font for the Tribute designations these days. You have to look a bit closely to tell them from the US ones.
  13. sailri

sailri

If you do a search on this forum for m-2000 and tribute you'll find two or three threads where there were some "ooops" M-2000 Tributes in white that instead of selling for $700-ish sold for $399 from a few places. The only mistake was with the paint scheme not being consistent with other white Tributes that had already been made - all white with black, or all white with no black, or all white with no binding - something like that was the mistake - a pretty minor cosmetic mistake - . It's the real deal - not easy to put together pieces on a non-US G&L.
  14. PJRL

PJRL

I bet you can contact G&L and they can help.
  15. mcnach

mcnach

Regarding the logo... Not really. Early Tribute models were like yours, later ones are like the OPs. That's all. I had one of each.