Help with a small amp to boost up my NV610.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Dec 8, 2012.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

I recently bought a NV610.

I don't play big gigs, so I don't know how far it will actually take me.

I read it can go louder than a SVT 810, is this true? If so, how?

I like it a lot, but I miss having a 810 behind me. Yeah I can be superficial, but cab makers make a good living off people like me.

So I was looking for a cab to put below to boost the 610 up a bit. I would like to be able to run the NV610 with this cab if need be. My carvin head has 2 channels, so I'm aware of how the Ohm-age situation goes.

I was thinking about having LDS build me a sealed 210 with 1/3 the volume of the NV610 and with dimensions so it looks good on it. I was thinking about having Eminence Legend B810's put in it. It gives me the opportunity for a sealed rig for small gigs, and will give my the NV the small boost I want and the 810 feel I want.

Any similar experiences, suggestions? :hyper:

It will pretty much be more of a riser, but can give me 2 extra drivers if I feel it's necessary.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A 610 ain't quiet by any means. Their performance vs an 810 is pretty solid. But if it's too short, rather than add a cab as a riser, I'd just tilt it back till the top drivers are pointed to your head. Or I'd buy another 810...yeah, likely that's what I'd do...another 810...

:D
  3. whatisacup

whatisacup

I would love to buy a fridge, but the weight is a huge concern. I have no idea what I would do with it.

My practice space is on the 3rd floor with no elevator. My apartment, 7th floor no elevator :(.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sheesh! I'd be using nothing but a micro rig if I were you!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. whatisacup

whatisacup

Micro rigs don't look as cool!:p

I used to have an SVT810, when I lived in the suburbs and my band had a trailer. It was AWESOME sounding, but it was just as AWESOME looking.

But I do like the berg, and I'm in the market for a 210 rig. Thinking this might be a practical option.
  7. whatisacup

whatisacup

Anyone else? :hyper:
  8. carl h.

carl h.

Move or start dating a bodybuilder.
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Build a small riser for your cab and a black sheet. Lift the cab up a bit.
  10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, just get the 610 up higher. The ONLY cab that would be a good match for a 610 is another 610, which would be crazy. Adding a 210 to a 610 is a recipe for a blown-out 210.
  11. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

If you used an 8 ohm 2X10, the 610 would see 2/3 the power. If the 2X10 were 16 ohms, it may match the pairs in the 610, but neither would match perfectly. A 16 ohm cabinet would be less "stressed" and the 610 would bear most of the power.
  12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

If it's just for looks, do what the touring pros would do:

1. Build a lightweight box the same width and depth as your 6x10.

2. Put in a couple junk 10" speakers, w/ the magnets removed. (In a pinch, you could instead paste pictures of 2 10" speakers on the baffleboard.)

3. Slap grill cloth across the front.

4. Put the box on your Berg, and put your head on the box.

5. Use a 3-d printer to mock up a Berg logo plate. Apply.

Then snap some pix and post 'em on TB, so we can mock you! :)
  13. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Book a tour opening up for one of those bands that puts the little risers down stage in front so they can posture.
    Use the riser to put your rig on during your set.
    Or, get a quality road case that has a foot print the same size as your cab. Use it to transport stuff to and from the gig, and put the amp on it during the gig.
  14. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    The only way I'd behind this idea is if you had a box built to the equivalent of a 210 section the Berg with the same speakers and size wired as a 16 ohm load to match the Berg to a total 4 ohm load. I did this with a Bag End 410 (8 ohm) and 210 (rewired to 16 ohm) to make a modular 5.3 ohm 610 rig with all speakers seeing equivalent power.
  15. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

First, it's not louder than an 8x10, but apparently seems loud enough for you.

Get a 2x10 or a good 1x12 for smaller gigs and rock the Bergantino when you can- it looks and sounds amazing and you will not impress one single person in the world any more by having an 810 or a 2x10 sitting under it.

Are you having trouble hearing yourself with the 610 or is it just aesthetics? Not clear from your post. BTW, the berg sounds great at all levels and SHINES when pushed, so in a way you might be getting worse tone by adding a second cab, and the sonic match night introduce phase and other issues as to blending tones. Sounds like a bad move to me all around.
  16. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

APPARENTLY :)rolleyes:) what I said before was "offensive" ( :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:), so I will shorten it to say:

You're wasting your time on this. If anything, you need to downsize your rig to something more appropriate to "not playing big gigs" and living and playing in several story buildings with no elevators (not sure how you expect to carry a 80-100 pound or so cab up and down 3 or 7 flights of stairs on regular basis).

Your best bet is probably to downsize to maybe 2 lighter single 15s, or 2 2x12s, if you truly need that much driver (most people don't).

It's not "cooler" having an 8x10. What's cooler is having a rig that can do what you need it to do, that isn't a waste of time, energy, and resources just to be able to move it up and down a ridiculous amount of stairs all the time.