Help with amp hiss

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Zalech13, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Zalech13

Zalech13

Hi, I recently purchased a Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass and Fender Rumble 15 amp from GC. The bass plays like a dream and the amp is fine, EXCEPT that it seems that I get a lot of hissing through the amp when the tone control is turned up. It goes away only when I'm touching the strings, bridge or input jack. I've done a little googling and it looks like this isn't an uncommon problem, but does anyone know what the solution is? Or why this actually happens? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

High end hiss or ground buzz? If it goes away when you touch the strings that is a ground issue in the bass itself and not the amp.
  3. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

Just to add to what Linnin said, are you using an instrument cable or a speaker cable?
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Linnin is incorrect. If it goes away when you touch the strings it is a shielding issue, a grounding issue would get louder. The issue lies with the bass not the amp. Give the bass a proper shielding job and the hiss goes away. Fender doesn't shield right up to the custom shop, pretty common issue.