Help with Badger Schism - Beware of Complicatedness

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BooshBass, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BooshBass

BooshBass Supporting Member

I just received a Badger Schism. I once fancied myself pretty good with pedals, but the badger schism has me stumped. Just fishing for suggestions on how to use it in awesome ways. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Also I know that I can mess with it myself and find my own awesome ways to use it, and you can bet I will. Just looking for other people's input to get some ideas and such. Thanks.

My usual pedal chain is as follows:

Guitar and Bass > A/B > 3leaf Wonderlove with Boss OC-2 > Zoom MS60B in the loop and buffered bypass engaged > Crybaby Wah > 1-way Loop with Boss Bass EQ > Boss Noise Suppressor > Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive in the loop > IE Nimbus > EHX Small Stone Nano > Boss BF-2 Flanger > Dr. Scientist Tremolessence > Eventide Timefactor > Boss RC-300 Loop Pedal > Amp

The original idea was to have the ability to bypass almost the entire chain:

Bass and Guitar > A/B > Boss RC-300 > [3leaf Enabler not yet bought] > Amp.

Then, have three effects loops:

1. Wonderlove with Boss OC-2 > Zoom MS60B in effects loop with buffered bypass engaged > [Compressor not yet bought]

2. Crybaby Wah > Boss Bass EQ > Boss Noise Supressor > Hardwire Tube Overdrive > [More dirt not yet bought]

3. IE Nimbus > EHX Small Stone Nano > Boss BF-2 Flanger > Dr Scientist Tremolessence > Eventide Timefactor

Then have the ability to invert the wah/dirt chain and the modulation chain, and have the OCT > ENV > FUZZ chain to engage or disengage at will.

Not to mention the "clean signal," (i.e., signal messed up by the RC-300 but then cleaned up by the 3leaf Enabler,) to use when I just want clean bass.

AHHHHHH. Wow. I understand if you don't answer this. But those effects junkies out there that want to help me out, I thank you greatly.
  2. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I consider myself fairly proficient with the Schism, so I'll try...

First, the Schism is not an EFX MKIII+, so don't try to use it like one.
    I tried, and was disappointment immediately.

The Schism is a parallel effects blender.
    Think of it as 3 clean channels, 2 of which you can add whatever you want to.

So for instance, I used to have mine set up...
    • Channel 1: filter > phaser
    • Channel 2: fuzz > eq
    With this set up, I'd mix a cleanish filtered-phase noise with a dirty eq'd wall of fuzz sound.
    The results where pretty amazing.
    I'd also flip on Channel 3 sometimes, turn it's volume down a bit, and introduce a tiny bit of my clean bass signal to add some definition.

I always run the Schism first in my chain, always engaged, and always have it set so both channel 1 and 2 can be heard even while independently disengaged. This gives a decent clean boost to my signal. I also have channel 3 on most of the time too, again, at only about half volume and only for the purpose of maintaining some note definition. I would turn it off if I wanted to go all green muff uber fuzz though.

Sadly, since I sold of most of my pedals, my signal chain is much smaller, but for now it's:

in > Schism > fuzz > filter > delay/reverb > looper > preamp
    Schism ch1: drive set to full wet
    Schism ch2: distortion set to full wet
    Schism ch3: always on at 1/2 volume

The current fuzz I have doesn't play nice with others, and must be by itself, so I can't run it like I did the TFR in one of the Schism loops.

So the schism is being used as a distortion controller.
    If I want just the drive (which is set to high frequency chimeyness), I leave ch2 off.
    If I want just the distortion (which is a full range almost-but-not-quite fuzz grindstortion), I leave ch1 off.
    If I want to go crazy and saturate the hell out of the signal with distortion, I have both channels on.

So I use the Schism to engage/disengage drive/distortion flavors.
    It works best when used like this.

Now, let's say I had two effects like filter > phaser that sounded good in series, and I wanted to blend them with fuzz > eq, but didn't want to tab dance every time I switched from both distortions to the above, I'd just put the filter > phaser in a small loop, and the loop in channel 1, and put the fuzz > eq in another loop and that loop in channel 2. That way I only have 2 switches to press instead of 4. Of course, another Schism set after the first would work better, but that can get expensive, which is why some people opt for the Wounded Paw Blender v.4 which is like the Schism's bigger brother.

I only need 2 parallel channels and I like the Schism's footprint, otherwise I'd have gone with the Wounded Paw myself.

Anyway, the bottom line is to experiment and find out which effects sound best parallel blended with which other effects, and which sound best in series. This will take some time, so make some coco and settle in for a day of plug in > twang-twang > unplug, wash and repeat...

I hope this helps, and I'm happy to elaborate on any point as well.
  3. BooshBass

Yea that helps. I'll report back after messing with it a lot tomorrow.
  4. shenanigans

shenanigans

As Vlad said, if you want to use it as a traditional looper, your loops can't really be used with anything else on your chain.

I recommend getting some sort of octave in parallel with a filter. I don't know if that will mean moving the MS-60B away from the WL/OC-2 combo or splitting up the WL/OC-2. That was always loads of fun for me.

Getting some kind of EQ in both loops couldn't hurt either. And of course, experiment.

Having a MS-60B in each loop would allow for ridiculous possibilities. Ridiculous. Possibilities.

Your loop 3 looks like it might be happy set after the Schism. I'm looking at the delay and reverb very strongly, but they all could belong there depending on your usage.
  5. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

On my pt pro I had the wounded paw v4 blender and my uses could be downsized to your applications.

Ch A: clean tone
    Ch B: MXR BOD > Mantic Density Hulk
    Ch C: IE SubT> SA OFD> SA BEF Pro>Eventide H9
    Ch D: Line6 M9

I could click on and off each loop to accomplish varying degrees of synthiness or distortions.

I used B for 2 flavors of clean sub octave. C for subsynth, unison synth, or just dirt tones. And D for and +1 octave sounds, like synth lead, power chords, whammy, etc.

I'm currently downsized and use a PT junior with essentially loop C as my board, but I might pick up an ls2 or schism to get some degree of blending back.
  6. Eater_of_Birds

Eater_of_Birds UK Extreme User Supporting Member

Not sure if im mental but I would be tempted to just use one purely for a clean/dirt/dirt blend. Sure id throw other things in eventually if I had one to play wirh though.
  7. BooshBass

This is what a ton of people use it for I've been finding.

I actually traded it for an IE Oxide. May go back to it one day when my board starts to bore me, but, as you can see by my original post, I got the Schism to do something it doesn't do. I also don't have a ton of time at the moment to mess with it as much as I want/as needed to use it properly.

I am just going to get a 1-loop w/blend to bypass my entire effects board (except a few pedals), and have the ability to blend clean tone.

I think this thread would be worth people still posting on for future reference not only for myself but for everyone else interested in a Schism. The thing seems really complicated when you take it out of the box but a lot of people really great input on it.
  8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Yeah it is good for that & I def use it for that ... but parallel blending is very cool in general.

IMHO the schism isn't complicated at all .... its basically a small mixer.
  9. BooshBass

Maybe not complicated. Just has a lot of uses as far as the endless amount of blending that can be had. May take a lot of trial and error to get what you like.
  10. Eater_of_Birds

Eater_of_Birds UK Extreme User Supporting Member

I have sortof what you need in the Fairfield Operator except it doesnt blend, has feedback instead. A loop with blend AND feedback would be nice as a two birds one stone thing.